Differences between Word 2003 and Word 2007 formats

I’ve been using Aspose.Words for handling Word files in Word 2003 format (DOC files). I tried to use Aspose.Words 9.5.0 to accept Word 2003 files as input, but save the output in Word 2007 form (DOCX files). Unfortunately when I tried to do this the draft watermark I tried to add to an empty document appears differently than it had when I opened a document in Word 2003 format and saved in Word 2003 format. The height and width of the text seem to have been switched, since now the text is closely packed together from left to right, but is very long from top to bottom.

You can see this in the VB.NET program TestProgram.vb that appears inside TestProgram.zip. It creates the file word2003.doc when saving into Word 2003 format and word2007.docx when saving into Word 2007 format. Note the difference between the way the two output files look even though the only difference in my code is the name of the file I used to save each of these files. I’d like to be able to have my code work for both Word 2003 and Word 2007 formats without having any special code for a format other than knowing the suffix to use for the file name. Is there any way I can do this?

Another problem I had is that the page numbering differed when I tried to save a document in Word 2003 and Word 2007. The same program mentioned above opens testFile.doc, a Word 2003 file. It then saves it as the Word 2003 file testFile.doc and the Word 2007 file testFile.docx. If you look at the last section of the document and look at LastSection.PageSetup.RestartPageNumbering, then the Word 2003 document has a value of True for RestartPageNumbering and the Word 2007 document has a value of False. You can see this also if you open the files in Word and look at the page number in the footer on the last page of the document. Why are the page numbers differing? I’d like to get the same page number in both cases.

Please use the last TestProgram.zip I’m attaching here. My browser is not letting me remove the other one.

Thanks,
ASC

Dear Mark,

Thank you for reporting us the problems.

I have reproduced the both issues above and created related records in our tracking system to eleminate it. Your request has been linked to these records, so you will be notified as soon as both problem are resolved.

Sorry for inconvenience.

Hello

I just rechecked your issues with the latest version of Aspose.Words and it seems it is not reproducible anymore. Could you please try with the latest version and confirm that the issue does not occur. You can download the latest version from here:

http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/.net-components/aspose.words-for-.net/category1188.aspx

Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-4221;WORDSNET-4222) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The draft watermark problem I referred to in my original post still occurs when I use Aspose.Words 10.7.0. Moreover, while the draft watermark appeared the way I wanted it to for DOC files, the DOC files now have the same problem as the DOCX files. The watermark text appears with the height and width switched. Version 10.7.0 was the most recent version when Andrey wrote his message in December. Is this also an issue for more recent versions of Aspose.Words?

I have not checked if the other problem is fixed.

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Perhaps, you’re using an older version of Aspose.Words; as with Aspose.Words v11.1.0, I was unable to reproduce any of these issues on my side. I would suggest you please upgrade to the latest version of Aspose.Words i.e. v11.1.0. Moreover, please read the following article on How-to: Migrate to Aspose.Words 10.5 or Higher:

I hope, this will help.

Best Regards,

I think you're right that the text is correctly written now.

Apparently 10.7.0 and 11.1.0 broke backward compatibility with Aspose.Words 9.5.0 with regard how they handle the height and width for DOC files.It looks like 9.5.0 sometimes mistakenly switched the height and width of the Shape class when saving as a DOC file, but not as a DOCX file. If you save the 9.5.0-generated DOC file as a Word 2003 XML document, you can see that the width and height were sometimes switched. The code I was using relied on this bug, so now this code has to be fixed since the bug is gone.

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your feedback and providing the additional information. Yes, you’re right, there are a few breaking changes in Aspose.Words API between v9.5 and v11.1.0. You can find a list of those changes in the link mentioned in my previous post. I am afraid, you’ve to fix your existing code now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,