Discrepancy merging tables when saving as pdf

Hi Guys,

I have an issue when I remove a hidden paragraph from between two tables (causing the tables to merge) in that Aspose appears to behave differently from word.

I’ve made a simple test case that replicates the issue:

’ Called with sSrcFilePath = Source.doc, sDisplayFilePath = Dest.pdf
Public Function SaveAsPdfStanEdition(ByRef sSrcFilePath As String, ByRef sDisplayFilePath As String) As Boolean
Dim oWord As Aspose.Words.Document
Dim oNodes As NodeCollection
Dim oPara As Paragraph
Dim oOptions As Aspose.Words.Saving.PdfSaveOptions = New Aspose.Words.Saving.PdfSaveOptions

InitialiseAsposeWords() ’ This simply checks for and sets the licence file.
oWord = New Aspose.Words.Document(sSrcFilePath)

oNodes = oWord.GetChildNodes(NodeType.Paragraph, True)
For Each oPara In oNodes
If oPara.ParagraphBreakFont.Hidden = True Then
oPara.Remove()
End If
Next

oWord.Save(sDisplayFilePath, oOptions)

Return True
End Function

When the above code is run to convert the source document (Source.doc)into a pdf (Dest.pdf) the lower table’s cells change width and we end up with a single table missing some of the data and with large table cells (see Dest.pdf).

I have alternatively saved the document as a .doc (see DestAsWordDocument.doc) which appears to behave correctly, which makes me think it’s something in saving the open document as a pdf. Finally I’ve attached an expected outcome (see Expected.pdf).

My guess is that when the document model in memory is saved as a pdf it doesn’t create it correctly if nodes have been removed, but that’s just an observation.

Thanks in advance for your investigation.

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your inquiry.

While using the latest version of Aspose.Words i.e. 16.6.0, we managed to reproduce this issue on our end. We have logged this issue in our bug tracking system. The ID of this issue is WORDSNET-13995. Your request has also been linked to the appropriate issue and you will be notified as soon as it is resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

Please can I have an update on the progress of this issue as I’ve received further reports of it being an issue for our clients today.

Many thanks,

Stan

Hi Stan,

Unfortunately, WORDSNET-13995 is not resolved yet and resolution of this issue depends on another internal issue which is a missing feature in Aspose.Words (WORDSNET-11005). Therefore, WORDSNET-13995 is postponed until at least WORDSNET-11005 is resolved. Our product team will review your issue after the resolution of WORDSNET-11005. We will inform you via this thread as soon as this issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

Thanks for letting me know, but is there a time frame for them fixing WORDSNET-11005 please? As I’m already being asked to give timeframes for resolution by our customers and I expect to see more of our customers identifying this issue as time goes on.

Thank you,

Stan

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your inquiry. We have asked the ETA of this issue from our product team and will update you as soon as any estimates are available.

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

More complaints about this issue from clients in my inbox this morning, I’m having meeting with our Development Manager and Operations Directors later and they are going to ask me time frames. Is there a better method by which I can raise this to get a clear answer or to elevate the fix? The Word to Pdf conversion is a key feature of your product and primarily the reason that we use it, there has to be something better that ‘please wait for a member of our product team to give you an update.’

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Stan

Hi Stan,

It seems your priority support subscription had expired; otherwise you might be able to report this issue in Priority Support forum and request to raise the priority of this issue. Can you please check with sales team?

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

In our meeting it was raised that we hadn’t previously seen this issue despite not having changed our code and only updating the dlls, so today I was asked to investigate and I can confirm that this was not an issue with Aspose Words 15.7, unfortunately downgrading is not an option as there are other fixes you have implemented which we rely on.

Now I appreciate that support cases are dealt with in the order received but this is clearly a code change that has broken an existing feature which I really would have expected would have been given a higher priority, suggesting that we pay for priority support to prioritize a fix to one of your breaking changes is not a very customer friendly solution.

So please, can this work be made a priority?

Thank you,

Stan

Hi Stan,

It seems the issue is not reproducible with 16.7.0 version (see attachment). Please upgrade to latest version and see how it goes on your end?
https://releases.aspose.com/words/net/

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

After a range of tests I can confirm that Aspose.Words 16.7 does not appear to manifest this issue.

Thank you for your help.

Stan

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your confirmation. In case you have further inquiries or need any help in future, please let us know.

Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-13995) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 16.10.0 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 16.10.0 update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.