Do I need to use an older version of Aspose.Cells.dll?

I am Asposisizing a legacy app (users complained about the slowness of the code, which is in Excel Interop).

I have added a reference to Aspose.Cells.dll and added this using:

using Aspose.Cells;

...but get this compile error:

The type or namespace name 'Aspose' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Is it because the project's Target framework is set to ".NET Framework 2.0"?

If so, is there an older version of the Aspose.Cells.dll that I can use? Or will I need to increment the target to 4.5?

The screenshot shows what I have and what I see.

Hi Clay,

Thank you for contacting Aspose support.

As per my experience, the said issue could be caused due .NET framework version incompatibility. It can happen in two ways:

1. A client profile project referencing a full framework assembly.
  2. An older framework version targeting a newer framework version.

In order to fix the said problem, please consider the following.

• Most probably the issue is caused because your project is targeting .NET framework 2.0 whereas the assembly you have referenced in your project is compiled against .NET framework 4.0. Please either target the project to .NET framework 4.0 or use the assembly from net2.0 folder of Aspose.Cells installation directory.
  • In case the above approach doesn’t resolve the problem, please check if your project is targeting client profile version of the .NET framework. If so, please try changing it to any of the .NET Framework that isn’t client profile and is higher than the framework of the referenced assembly.