Do Word Properties Attach to the PDF Conversion if Used in SharePoint Moss 2007

Hi,

I am looking for a SharePoint Moss 2007 solution with the conversion of Word documents into PDFs. When we upload Word documents to a document library, the properties of the document map to columns we have created. When we upload PDFs, we lose those properties and have to re-enter the information. My question is this: With your Word and PDF tools, if I convert a Word document to a PDF, does your tool inherit the properties as part of the conversion process? We convert thousands of Word documents to PDFs and need a solution that recognizes the properties when converted so that they do not have to be re-entered.

Any insight is greatly appreciated, as we are looking to evaluate tools.

Thanks.

Hello!

Thank you for your inquiry.

Aspose.Words doesn’t export any document properties to PDF. But if you propose such requirement we can consider implementing it.

Please clarify what properties you’d like to have exported. There are different kinds of properties: doc properties and doc variables. To make things clear we’d like to know more exactly your needs.

Regards,

Eseentially what we are looking to have attached are the title, author, keywords, subject, and comments. These are similar to the properties that we can map to our columns with Word documents when they are uploaded. Currently, these properties have to be re-entered each time a document is uploaded as a PDF.

Okay. I’ll investigate how it could be done and provide more information. Aspose.Pdf has such facility and I think it wouldn’t be difficult.

Regards,

Hello!

I have created issue #5184 in our defect database for built-in properties export and asked Aspose.Pdf Team for consultation. We’ll provide more information on any progress or when this feature is implemented.

Regards,

Hi,

I just wanted to follow-up on this to check about any progress. We appreciate any information that you may have.

Thanks.

Hello!

Thank you. We are still consulting with Aspose.Pdf Team. There could be difficult to populate attributes to OLE property sets to PDF documents by Aspose.Pdf. At least we’ll try to provide you any other approach to operate with built-in attributes. I reminded Aspose.Pdf developers a few second ago.

Best regards,

Hi,

Thanks for inquiring.
I am a developer of aspose pdf team. We plan to implement the following to resolve your problem after consult with Viktor:

1. These built-in document properties are supported in Aspose.Pdf : Author,Creator,Keywords,Subject,Producer,Title. But they are not supported well when using unicode characters(like Russian).We will fix it.

2. Different from WORD, built-in document properties category and comments are not supported in PDF. As a workaround, we will use Xmp MetaData to achevie it. i.e:

We need aspose words team’s cooperation to finish this job.

3.When right-click on the pdf file and invoke Properties,I find that the Summary tab is empty although some built-in document properties are set. If we set them as Xmp MetaData, they appear.So, we plan to pass those built-in document properties to Xmp MetaData sets to resolve the problem.

This issue is logged as PDFNET-5258 in our defect tracking system. We will try our best to finish it and send you an update here then.

Best regards.

Hello!

Here is an update on #5184. We have implemented what was suggested after consultations. Attributes Author, Title, Producer, Keywords and Subject are output in the corresponding attributes on Pdf node. Category and Comments go to XmpMetadata. Producer in PDF will correspond to Company in MS Word. All remaining attributes have same names.

We are planning to release Aspose.Words in a few days. The fix will available in this release. Aspose.Pdf Team is working with populating XmpMetadata attributes and will provide information additionally.

Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 5184) have been fixed in this update.

Hi!

We are delighted to announce the availability of Aspose.Words for SharePoint, which is our latest addition to the Aspose.Words product family.

This release, Aspose.Words for SharePoint 1.0 makes high quality document conversions for DOC/DOCX/ODT/RTF/PDF/XPS and others easily accessible to SharePoint users.

Please find more details in our Documentation area.