We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Doc to PDF Formatting Issue

To the Aspose Team:

We have a client that is using our Aspose with the option to produce mail merge reports from WORD to a PDF file using Aspose.Words and Aspose.PDF. The Word document has 3 columns but will only print 2 columns on the first page and the 3rd column on a second page. If using Word to preview the document, it looks fine. It also converts to PDF just fine using othe PDF conversion software.

I have attached a copy of this document so you can reproduce the problem that is occurring. I have simplified the Word document to only contain 3 columns with very little text and I have also removed all of the mail merge fields to make this very easy for you to test. I have tried adjusting the page margins and column sizes to no avail. Could you please check into this to explain what I need to do to correct this issue?

Thank you,

Mike Collins

Hi

Thanks for your request. Few weeks ago we had released new method of Word to PDF conversion (without using Aspose.Pdf). Direct conversion gives better result with your test document.

You can download the latest version of Aspose.Words from here:

http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/file-format-components/aspose.words/entry154627.aspx

I attached output produced by direct conversion and using Aspose.Pdf. Please test your real document and let me know if it works.

Best regards.

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

I tried the new version of Aspose.Words and it worked fine with the simple document that I sent you, but when I tried the full document, each column overlapped each other. In other words, each column seemed to expand the width when converting to PDF. I have attached the document and I also removed all of the merge fields so you can reporoduce the problem without the data for simplicity.

Another problem with using just Aspose.Words without Aspose.PDF is that I need to use the core fonts that are included with Aspose.PDF because of special characters that we use when converting from a WORD doc to a PDF. I use the property “pdf.IsCoreFontUsed = True”. Is there away to use those core fonts with Aspose.Words?

Thank you,

Mike Collins

Hi

Thanks for your request. I managed to reproduce the problem and created new issue #6987 in our defect database. I will notify you as soon as it is fixed. Note: this is only 1.0 version of our Rendering engine.

Currently only installed fonts are used upon converting DOC to PDF using Aspose.Words. But in the future embedded True Type fonts will be also supported upon such conversion.

Best regards.

Hello Alexey,

It has been 3 months since we reported this problem, and we are wondering if there has been any progress. We are an OEM for ASPOSE and this problem has occured at more than one client site, so it does have some urgency for us. Thanks.

Regards,

Bill Schenck

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, the issue is still unresolved.

Best regards.

This issue was first reported in December 2008, and as far as I can tell is still open. Yet another of our clients has reported encountering the problem. Can you tell me when it will be resolved? Thanks.

Bill Schenck

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your inquiry. The issue is still unresolved. You will be notified as soon as it is fixed.

Best regards.

Bill, I just tried to convert your document to PDF using the latest version of Aspose.Words (6.6.0) and, it seems, the output PDF looks fine. Please try using this version of Aspsoe.Words, you can download it from here:

http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/file-format-components/aspose.words-for-.net-and-java/category1188.aspx

Please let me know how it goes on your side.

Best regards.

Alexey,

Thanks for the response. Does version 6.6.0 support TrueType embedded fonts, as discussed in the posts on 12/23/2008 of this thread?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your inquiry. No, unfortunately, Aspose.Words still does not support embedded fonts. You will be notified as soon as this feature is supported.

Best regards.

Alexey,

So then at this point we have no solution for the problem we first reported in December 2008? As you can see from the earlier posts, we use the embedded fonts from ASPOSE.PDF to generate special characters, and so need them to be available if we are to generate the PDF directly from ASPOSE.WORDS.

Also, when you tried version 6.6.0, which document did you try it with – the original document submitted with post #157235 on December 18, or the second document submitted with post #157771 on December 23? The second document was the source for your issue #6987. Thanks.

Bill

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. I tried with both of your documents and both PDFs looks fine. As I can see in your document you use Wingdings characters, so you can just install Wingdings fonts on your PC.

Just to clarify:

Aspose.Words does not support fronts embedded into MS Word documents.

Apsoe.Words embeds fonts used in the document into PDF document upon converting.

To be used upon converting to PDF required font should be installed on your PC.

If Aspose.Words cannot find some fonts, it uses the default font (Times New Roman).

Best regards.

Alexey,

Our need for the Core fonts supplied with ASPOSE.PDF has nothing to do with the fonts employed by the Word document. We have a Developer OEM license and we distribute our products with ASPOSE to many clients. During the process of generating a PDF from a Word document using ASPOSE.WORDS and ASPOSE.PDF, we convert several pre-defined character strings from the Word document to special characters from the ZapfDingbats font that is one of the core fonts provided by ASPOSE.PDF (for example, we convert the string “[ck” to a ZapfDingbats checkmark). So we depend on the core font set provided by ASPOSE.PDF. We expected that they would be provided by ASPOSE.WORDS as well, but that is not the case yet.

Bill

Hi

Thank you for additional information. We will consider adding such functionality and let you know as soon as the issue is resolved.

Best regards.

Hello,

It has been 10 months now since we first reported this problem. Can you tell me whether issue #6987 has been resolved yet, and whether Aspose.Words now supports embedded fonts for conversion of DOC to PDF? Thanks.

Bill Schenck

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, the issues you have reported earlier are still unresolved. However, I tried to convert your multicolumn document to PDF using the latest version of Aspose.Words (7.0.0) and the output PDF looks fine. You can download the latest version from here:

http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/.net-components/aspose.words-for-.net/category1188.aspx

Please let me know if you can confirm that the problem is resolved, I will close the issue in our defect database, in this case.

Best regards.

Thanks, but if you will read the previous posts in this thread you will see that we need the embedded fonts provided by ASPOSE.PDF. Until ASPOSE.WORDS supports embedded fonts, we cannot use it for the PDF conversion. We are essentially in the same place we were in last December.

Do you have any schedule for adding support for embedded fonts to ASPOSE.WORDS? Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your request. No, unfortunately, embedded fonts are still not supported.

Best regards.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 6987) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.