Document insertion not the same in old and new code

Hi,

I have different behavior when inserting one document into another with OpenXml old code and new Aspose code.

In old code we are inserting document over AltChunk before specific element - Sdt or Paragraph. That works fine. With Aspose I am using InsertDocument with DocumentBuilder and have different behavior. Issues :

1. I can not move to Sdt to insert before or after, I have to add paragraph to move DocumentBuilder’s cursor

2. When I move cursor to specific Paragraph and have InsertDocument it inserts in that paragraph, does not append to the parent element - Body per sample

3. In Aspose, when document is inserted there is always added one more empty paragraph after inserted content - that is not OK.

I was suggested for this approach over DocumentBuilder as for more complex scenarios I have to preserve sections and section breaks.

Code samples :

Classic code

public static void InsertFileClassic()
{
string documentPath = “placeholder.docx”;
string insertDocumentPath = “nsertDoc.docx”;

using (WordprocessingDocument document = WordprocessingDocument.Open(documentPath, true))
{
string altChunkId = “AltChunkId” + DateTime.Now.Ticks.ToString().Substring(0, 2);
MainDocumentPart mainPart = document.MainDocumentPart;
AlternativeFormatImportPart chunk =
mainPart.AddAlternativeFormatImportPart(AlternativeFormatImportPartType.WordprocessingML,
altChunkId);
using (FileStream fileStream = File.Open(insertDocumentPath, FileMode.Open))
chunk.FeedData(fileStream);
AltChunk altChunk = new AltChunk();
altChunk.Id = altChunkId;

SdtBlock sdt =
(SdtBlock)document.MainDocumentPart.Document.Body.ChildElements.First(it => it is SdtBlock);

sdt.InsertBeforeSelf(altChunk);
sdt.Remove();
mainPart.Document.Save();
}
}

Aspose code

public static void InsertFileAspose()
{
string documentPath = “placeholder.docx”;
string insertDocumentPath = “insertDoc.docx”;

Aspose.Words.Document document = new Aspose.Words.Document(documentPath);
StructuredDocumentTag nodeToInsertBefore =
(StructuredDocumentTag)
document.GetChildNodes(NodeType.StructuredDocumentTag, true).ToArray().FirstOrDefault();

using (FileStream fileStream = new FileStream(insertDocumentPath, FileMode.Open))
{
Aspose.Words.Document documentToInsert = new Aspose.Words.Document(fileStream);
DocumentBuilder builder = new DocumentBuilder(document);

// I need empty paragraph to move cursor to it as I can not move to Sdt that is not inline
Aspose.Words.Paragraph newParagraph = new Aspose.Words.Paragraph(nodeToInsertBefore.Document);
newParagraph.InsertNodeBefore(nodeToInsertBefore);

builder.MoveTo(nodeToInsertBefore);
builder.MoveTo(newParagraph);
builder.InsertDocument(documentToInsert, ImportFormatMode.UseDestinationStyles);
nodeToInsertBefore.RemoveNodeSafely();
newParagraph.RemoveNodeSafely();
}

document.Save(documentPath);
}

Sample documents are in attachment :

1. placeholder.docx is destination document where should be inserted another document
2. insertDoc.docx is source document that should be inserted on specific place

Thanks,
Rastko
Hi Rastko,

Thanks for your inquiry.
risajev:
1. I can not move to Sdt to insert before or after, I have to add paragraph to move DocumentBuilder's cursor
2. When I move cursor to specific Paragraph and have InsertDocument it inserts in that paragraph, does not append to the parent element - Body per sample
Please move the cursor to the StructuredDocumentTag.FirstChild and insert the document.
risajev:
3. In Aspose, when document is inserted there is always added one more empty paragraph after inserted content - that is not OK.
DocumentBuilder.InsertDocument method inserts content of the document into the current position of DocumentBuilder's cursor. This method mimics the MS Word behavior, as if CTRL+'A' (select all content) was pressed, then CTRL+'C' (copy selected into the buffer) inside one document and then CTRL+'V' (insert content from the buffer) inside another document.

Please manually create your expected Word document using Microsoft Word and attach it here for our reference. We will investigate how you want your final Word output be generated like. We will then provide you more information on this along with code.