DocumentProperties.set(String name- Object value) swallows values- if not Strings

I wanted to use DocumentProperties to temporarily store Date objects using presentation.getDocumentProperties().set(String name, Object value).
Neither documentation nor the signature denies to use arbitrary classes as values.
But in fact, if I set a non-String value, it's just vanished in thin air, since get(String name) return always null.

This might be a bug.

I would expect either a specifically designed signature to allow Strings only or at least documented behavior and raise of an Exception, immediately when set() is called.

It's not the first time I raise such issues, that cause problems later, mostly having no hint to the cause.
And since it's wrapped code, nothing really is able to be done but try/error.

Jens Gehrke, Oracle

Hi Jens,

I have tried to reproduce the issue related to document properties setting for PPT presentation. Upon getting the values back from document properties "null" is returned. An issue with ID 18040 has been created in our issue tracking system to investigate the issue. This thread has also been linked with the issue, so that you may be automatically notified, once the issue is resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,