DOCX to ODT Transparent Image Issue

Hello,

We have a transparent signature image (comes from json as base 64) that we add to ODT documents though Aspose; the problem is that the transparency is lost during this process; the image must be transparent because otherwise it will cover some of the contract texts on the documents.. The code we are using is like this: (trimmed to highlight the point)

java.awt.image.BufferedImage
DrawingML drawing = getDrawingML();
drawing.getImageData().setImage(pImage);

The attached input/output documents (transparent-image-sample.docx/transparent-image-sample.odt) demonstrate the issue.

Please note that we are converting docx documents to odt and then convert odt to pdf only because Aspose doesn't have a modest way, till now, to convert Arabic docx to pdf directly! We still have two blocking bugs that I reported earlier and never heard a feedback for about for 2 months now (bug #6705 & bug #6706). If we get those fixed we don't need the fix for this one (neither we will need all the workarounds that will just keep causing more and more issues when using docx>odt>pdf as well)... Please take this into consideration as it really makes sense for both of us.

My development machine has Aspose for Word 10.8 and 11.5 Java Edition with Windows 7 x64 and MS Office 2010.

Hope to hear from you soon, hopefully about the two bugs I reported in the past..

Thanks & Regards,
Alaa Tadmori, Software Developer
ConSol MENA LTD

Hi Alaa,

Thanks for your inquiry. While using the latest version of Aspose.Words for Java i.e. v11.7.0, I was unable to reproduce this issue on my side. The conversion from ODT to DOCX and DOCX to ODT went just fine. I would suggest you please upgrade to the latest version of Aspose.Words i.e. v11.7.0 and let us know how it goes on your side? You can download it from the following link:
http://www.aspose.com/community/files/72/java-components/aspose.words-for-java/default.aspx

Moreover, please check below the progress of your issues:

WORDSNET-6705: This issue has now been resolved and its will be included in the next version of Aspose.Words i.e. 11.8.0. We will inform you via the original thread as soon as the new release is published.

WORDSNET-6706: This issue is currently in development phase. We will inform you via the thread (this issue is originally linked to) as soon as it is resolved.

Best Regards,

Hi Awais & Thanks for your prompt replay.

I have tested it with 11.7 and still got the same issue. I wonder if I explained it clear in my previous post (I guess the attachments help clear the point much more); the issue is not that our conversion service fail when we are trying to convert docx to odt which has a transparent image… the service doesn’t fail… you can’t reproduce the issue if you place a transparent image on a docx document and convert it to odt because that is also goes fine (it outputs transparent in this case as expected)… the issue only appears when you have a docx document (with an arbitrary shape where we need to place our image later) and then using Aspose you take the image from a json file (in our case) and try to replace that shape from the docx document with the transparent image that is coming from the json (base 64); in this case you will be able to see that the generated odt document outputs the image as opaque as seen in the attached odt… (as seen in the attachment, the first image shows fine because it was directly placed on the docx so Aspose knows how to render it correct when converting it to odt; the second image is injected as base 64 and Aspose is not rendering its transparency when converting to odt). Please have a look at the attachments again; I added some comments there to make the point clearer. I also attached you the json file where the base 64 image comes from (I converted the extension from json to txt to be able to upload it here).

PS. Every month I am used to download & try the latest version of Aspose; I want to say that it is really unfortunate that in time where Aspose 11.8 will be released in couple of days now we are still using 10.8, one year older version of Aspose! The reason for that is that the management wants to stick to a stable version & when I finally convinced them to upgrade (it was 11.5) a comments bar issue were introduced in that version (I reported that issue to you earlier) so we downgraded to 10.8 again. I am not be able to convince them again to move forward to newer releases of Aspose unless we could use it to convert our Arabic documents as well… I am now conformable with the Aspose API and truly believe it could be a perfect solution for all of our documents and I don’t want to leave it for something else after all the experience I have with it but the management is really pushing us to find different solutions because we are currently maintaining two different approaches, one to convert English, Spanish, Bahasa… documents & the other for Arabic ones. I am happy that issue 6705 will be fixed in this coming release of Aspose & wish for the other issue (6706) to be fixed as soon as possible too because these two seem blocking so far for Arabic documents… I need Aspose to convert Arabic documents to insure we will continue to use it… I am expecting your help and understanding in this matter.

Thanks & Regards,
Alaa Tadmori,Software Developer
ConSol MENA LTD

Hi Alaa,

Thanks for your inquiry and providing the additional information. But, please also share the Java code file here in order to reproduce the same issue on my side.

Regarding the resolution of your issues, we understand that you have important issues and it is unfortunate that some of them are not yet fixed. We apologise for the inconvenience. This is because, when an issue is reported by a customer it is added to the pool of current issues being worked on by our developers. The issue is then analysed in a timely manner. However, due to the nature of some complex bugs and the number of features we are working on, this doesn’t always mean we can fix every bug within a short time after it’s reported. Rest assured, we try to resolve the issues on our earliest and will inform you as soon as they are resolved.

Best Regards,