DOCX to PDF conversion issue with Arabic text using Java

Hi Awais,

Thank you for all of your hard work. I have been trying to convert our Arabic documents to PDF since early versions of Aspose 11.x for Word; with 11.6 for the first time few of our documents started to work (though with some layout & fonts issues) but at least without causing the converting service to fail; that is a big advancement. However the rest of the documents are still failing and I was able to find out the exact part of the document that is causing it to fail but I wasn’t able to know the reason; I looked at the underlying schema but it seemed too complex this time to track the error there. Here is what I found:

As shown in the attachment (table-in-textbox.docx) the document fail though it only has an empty table inside a textbox… Aspose shows a generic
Null Pointer Exception so I couldn’t know what is causing the error. I want to note that not every table inside a textbox fails so there should be a different reason for this to happen.

Call stack:

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.aspose.words.ZG.Z(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.ZG.Ã(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.IP.Ã(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.R.Ã(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.ZRB.CQ(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.ZOI.Ã(Unknown Source)
… 73 more

I want to note that our documents are complex so if we could get them to convert to Arabic and with proper layout then I will be able to convince my company that Aspose is now mature enough to replace our old solution for converting Arabic docx to PDF. We already use Aspose for all of our English solutions & I am looking forward to using it for Arabic as well.

Many thanks & Regards,
Alaa Tadmori,
Software Developer
ConSol* MENA LTD

Hi Alaa,

Thanks for your query. I have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. I have logged this issue as WORDSNET-6705 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi Tahir & Thanks for your prompt reply.

Throughout my tests on Aspose with Word documents I have noticed that if you open Windows Explorer and choose to create a an empty Word document from there (right-click > new > Word Doc) and then tried to convert that with Aspose it fails. That is not a problem in our case but I figured you might be interested to know about this as I imagine it would be easy to fix should this be considered an bug.

Just note when you create a document right from Windows Explorer the size of it shows 0KB while when you create it from Word itself then save it, it shows 13KB.

Thanks & Regards,
Alaa Tadmori Software Developer
ConSol MENA LTD

Hi Alaa,

The file created by using (right-click > new > Word Doc) has file size 0k. This is not a bug in Aspose.Words.
In this case, the file with zero length has no header. All object files have the header by which one can understand that the format and version of the format.

Hope this answers your query. Please let us know if you have any more queries.

Hi Tahir,

Thanks for your reply. Yes of course, it makes a lot of sense.

Best regards,
Alaa Tadmori

Hi Alaa,

Please feel free to ask if you have any question about Aspose.Words, we will be happy to help you.

Hi Tahir,

I have reported two issues this month and they have been logged in in your tracking system. Trying to implement a workaround for these issues till we get a fix from you I was able to apply a workaround for issue (WORDSNET-6705) but I couldn't figure a way to come over the font issue (WORDSNET-6706); if it is only possible to get one fix the September release then it would be greate to get the fix for the Simplified Arabic font issue (WORDSNET-6706) as it is blocking for us. Hope to get both fixes though :D

Thanks a lot for all of your care.

Regards,
Alaa Tadmori, Software Developer
ConSol* MENA LTD

Hi Alaa,

Thanks for your query. I regret to share with you that there is no workaround available for WORDSNET-6706. However, we will update you via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We appreciate your patience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-6705) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

Hi,

Thanks for the updates; I confirm that this issue is fixed on our side with this release of Aspose.

Regards,
ConSol MENA LTD

Hi Alaa,

Thanks for your feedback. Please feel free to ask if you have any question about Aspose.Words, we will be happy to help you.

Hi,

This is to follow up on issue WORDSNET-6706 which is discussed in this same post.
Unfortunately we still add extra process step before we convert our documents to PDF because of the fact that only one family of Arabic font is correctly processed by Aspose. It is becoming more of a problem because our documents are getting bigger and the overall conversion process is suffering due to these facts.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon about this.

Thanks & Regards,
ConSol MENA LTD

Hi Alaa,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have verified the status of WORDSNET-6706 from our issue tracking system and like to share with you that this issue is under development phase. Hopefully, the fix of this issue will be available in June 2013 release. We will inform you via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We appreciate your patience.

Hi Tahir,

I downloaded August version today and tested it. We still suffer the same issue of WORDSNET-6706. Can you kindly inform me about the status of this bug?

Thanks & Regards,
Alaa Tadmori,
Software Developer
ConSol* MENA LTD.

Hi Alaa,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I have verified the status of WORDSNET-6706 from our issue tracking system and like to share with you that your issue is under development phase. If everything goes by plan, we are very hopeful to include the fix to your issue in Aspose.Words’ August release i.e. 13.8.0. Please note that this estimate is not final at the moment; I will be sure to inform you via this forum thread as soon as your issue is resolved.

Thanks for your patience.