Docx to pdf - encountering memory and nearly 100% cpu use

Hi,

We are using Aspose to convert Word documents and other formats to PDF in our web application that runs on Tomcat. During our QA, we found couple of instances where we had trouble converting a word (docx) file to PDF. Before using it in an application we had a prototype that successfully converted the documents. However the same prototype (running with the license) is also unable to convert the files successfully. I have attached a zip file that contains the java file and the folder that contains these problem docx files. Can you guys take a look and let us know what the problem is? We have noticed that it uses a lot of memory and CPU while processing these files.

Thanks,
Umesh Veeraiah

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. I have logged this issue as WORDSNET-7527 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Thanks Tahir, I tried to run the prototype again and ran into the following memory issue…thought it will help. I have 8GB RAM installed on my local machine.

Exception in thread “main” java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
at asposewobfuscated.GZ.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.VK.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.ZQF.Ã(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.VJ.Z2(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.VJ.sq(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.VJ.moveNext(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.VJ.sU(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.IJ.Ã(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.Document.updatePageLayout(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.Document.Zd(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.Document.tZ(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.Document.getPageCount(Unknown Source)
at com.monster.mgs.pdfConvert.Test1.main(Test1.java:57)

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for sharing the details. Yes, this is an issue. I have tested this scenario at my local machine with 6GB RAM. We will update you via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

Please feel free to ask if you have any question about Aspose.Words, we will be happy to help you.

Hi Tahir,

One more thing that I wanted to mention and ask is that, for the second docx file that I have provided (1~~Resume.docx), the loading of that doc into memory is when we see this issue. Hoping that this will be fixed soon, we should be able to call the doc.getPageCount() method, right? Is WORDSNET-6809 fixed? I came across this issue in the forums which was talking about a page size issue. Right now, we are unable to get to that line.

Let me know
Thanks,
Umesh

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. The Document.PageCount throws exception. I have logged this issue as WORDSNET-7545 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

Regarding issue WORDSNET-6809, I am afraid the issue WORDSNET-6809 has now been postponed till a later date due to some other important issues and new features.We will inform you as soon as there are any further developments.

Hi Tahir,

Thanks for your response. Can you provide us with a ETA (is there a solution and the releases that these issues are scheduled for) on the following issues so that it will help us to plan out our product fixes in these areas? If you can bump up these issues, it will be great, as Word formats (doc and docx) are the widely used formats everywhere. Not only us, but Aspose will benefit with these fixes as well.

WORDSNET-7527
WORDSNET-7545

Let us know,
Thanks,
Umesh Veeraiah

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for your patience.

I am afraid your issues have now been postponed till a later date due to some other important issues and new features. We will inform you as soon as there are any further developments.

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for your patience. Regarding WORDSNET-7527, the responsible developer has completed the performance improvement in latest version of Aspose.Words for Java 13.4.0.

Please upgrade to the latest version (v13.4.0) from here and let us know how it goes on your side. If the problem still remains, please increase the JVM heap size and try the latest version of Aspose.Words for Java 13.4.0.

Hope this helps you.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-6809) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-7527) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 16.10.0 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 16.10.0 update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

@monsterww

It is to inform you that the issue WORDSNET-7545 has been resolved in the latest version of Aspose.Words for Java 19.4. So, please use Aspose.Words for Java 19.4 and let us know if you have any more queries.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-7545) have been fixed in this update.