Error opening a PDF with Acrobat 7.0.5

Hello,

We have built a .NET application with trial versions of ASPOSE.WORD (5.2.0.0) and ASPOSE.PDF (3.6.2.5). When we process a Word Mail Merge document and create a PDF, we get this error when we attempt to open the PDF with Acrobat v.7.0.5: "There was an error opening this document. The file is damaged and could not be repaired." The file opens correctly with Acrobat v.8.

Are there version restrictions for Acrobat? I have attached a copy of the PDF created by ASPOSE.

Thanks,

Bill S.

Hello Bill,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have tried opening the Pdf file with an earlier version of Adobe rather than 8.0, and have noticed the same problem. As a resolution, please try converting the Word file into Pdf using latest version of Aspose.Pdf v3.8.0.0, and in case you sill face a problem while opening the Pdf file, please share the resource word file, so that we can test the issue at our end.

In Aspose.Pdf, there are no such version restrictions for Adobe.

All right, thank you. Are we able to get a trial version of .PDF 3.8.0.0?

Bill

Hi Bill,

You can get a trial version of Aspose.Pdf 3.8.0.0 at http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/file-format-components/aspose.pdf/default.aspx. If it still won't work please provide the Word doc and let us test it.

Thanks. I've downloaded the update. We'll incorporate it into our application and I will let you know if there is still a problem.

Bill

We have installed ASPOSE.PDF v.3.8.0.0, but the problem persists. When we process the file via ASPOSE.WORD and ASPOSE.PDF and then attempt to view the file in Acrobat v.7.0.5, we still get the error message ("file is damaged and cannot be repaired"). I have attached the Word document, the PDF produced by ASPOSE, and the code snippet we use to View and/or save the PDF:

'* Now produce the PDF file.
pdf.Save(lcPDFfile, Aspose.Pdf.SaveType.OpenInAcrobat, Response)

'* See if the checkbox to save the pdf file is checked, if so,
'* store into the PDF Report Cards folder
If Me.chkbx_savepdf.Checked = True Then
Dim lcPathFile As String = ""
lcPathFile = Trim(Session("PDFFolder")) + lcPDFfile
pdf.Save(lcPathFile)
End If

When Aspose.Pdf.SaveType.OpenInAcrobat, Response is executed, an Acrobat dialog opens and asks whether to Save or Open the file. If we select Open, the error occurs. However, if we also execute pdf.Save(lcPathFile)
and then subsequently attempt to open the file with Acrobat, it opens correctly.

Hello Bill,

I have tested the issue and I’m able to reproduce the same problem. I have logged it in our issue tracking system as PDFNET-5963. We will investigate this issue in detail and will keep you updated on the status of a correction. We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi,

Please try adding

Response.End();

After Pdf.Save().

Thanks. We added Response.End() and it resolved the problem.

Bill