Error when merging pdf documents

Hi Per,

pschlut:
We are also running SharePoint 2010 sites on the machines, can that cause the issue?

// Edit
Now I tested on a Win 2008 R2 machine that doesn’t have SharePoint installed, and on that machine it works.

Thanks for sharing above details. I am testing the scenario on a machine with SharePoint installed and will share my findings with you in a while.

Best Regards,

Hi Per,

Thanks for your patience. I have tested the complete scenario on another machine which have SharePoint 2010 installed on it and I am afraid that I was unable to notice issue. The merging operation completed without throwing any exception. I am also attaching the generated output for your reference. Moreover I have tested the scenario with latest version of Aspose.Pdf for .NET which is 17.3.0 now.

pschlut:
I have seen that I’m not the only one with the same error, see PDFNET-42288.

Please note that we replicated the scenario by adding Aspose.Pdf.dll from GAC. Whereas in your case I have shared a sample project with you earlier. The package which I had shared also had the Aspose.Pdf assemblies in it. Please let us know if you are referencing Aspose.Pdf assemblies from GAC so that we can update you accordingly.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Hi,
Still facing the same error.

I have your dll’s registered in GAC, and they are also in the bin folder.

Hi Per,

Thanks for writing back. It will really be appreciated if you please share the assembly path by checking it in the project. To check the assembly path right-click on the Aspose.Pdf assembly in the solution explorer and select Properties. Please check the attached image file in which I have highlighted the path. It will really help us to understand the problem and address it accordingly. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Hi,
You can see my path in the attached image.

Per

/edit
Forgot to write that I have also tested to point the reference to GAC with the same error.
Path: C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Aspose.Pdf\17.3.0.0__716fcc553a201e56\Aspose.Pdf.dll

Hi Per,

Thanks for your cooperation. It seems your environment specific issue as you are facing it even when you are referencing Aspose assemblies from *bin folder. Please try using Aspose.Pdf.dll for .NET 4.0 in the sample project and let us know about the results.

Moreover, about adding assembly from GAC, I have recorded your feedback with the logged issue and I am sure that relevant team will definitely look into the details of this issue. We will keep you informed about the status of its resolution. Please be patient and spare us a little time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Hi,
using Aspose.Pdf.dll for .NET 4.0 in the sample MergeDocuments solution rendered the same error.

It is frustrating to not be able to use Aspose.Pdf in my project as I also use Aspose.Words and Aspose.Cells without any problem.
I think that I for now have to use a workaround as we need this function in our solution. I am way passed our deadline now.

Per

Hi Per,

We really feel sorry for the problem you are facing. As from our earlier conversation within this thread, it seems that this is your environment specific issue. You also have tested it on some other machine and your sample project worked just fine there. It seems that Visual Studio at your machine does not bother to take assembly form *bin folder but using its cache to take Aspose.Pdf.dll from GAC. You may try removing/uninstalling Aspose assemblies from GAC and run sample project again.

I am sure that development team will definitely look into the details of GAC related issue as we have logged it. Please be patient and cooperate with us in this matter. We will certainly make sure to update you with the status of resolution. Please spare us a little time. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Hi,
It’s been yet another month, and I suppose you have not looked at the problem yet as you haven’t updated this thread with the status of resolution?

We had to go live in our production environment, so now we have a function that works in half. The conversions works, but not merging of PDF files. :frowning:

Best Regards,
Per

Hello Per,

Thanks for your patience.

I am afraid that your issue has not been resolved yet because development team has been busy in resolving other high priority issue in the queue, which were logged before than your issue did. Moreover, according to earlier discussion in this thread, you were facing the same issue even when you were referencing Aspose.Pdf assemblies from bin* folder.

Well, during investigation of some other issue, I had encountered the same issue. The Aspose assemblies were referenced from bin* folder and yet the web application was raising same exception at API methods. I would like to share with you that I had managed to resolve the issue by performing following steps:

• Closed the Visual Studio
  • Uninstalled the Aspose.Pdf assembly from GAC.
  • Opened the project and cleaned it.
  • Changed Build Configuration form Debug to Release.(Optional)
  • Run the project.

I have done all the steps because sometimes Visual Studio does not refresh its cache and use some assemblies from previous references. May be in your environment same thing was happening. You can uninstall assembly from GAC by opening Visual Studio 2010 Command Prompt (Run as administrator) and executing following command.

gacutil.exe /u "Aspose.Pdf, Version=17.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=716fcc553a201e56"

You can get full assembly name from following code snippet.

var
name = typeof(Aspose.Pdf.Document).Assembly.FullName;

Please try above solution and if you have some other questions regarding suggested workaround, please feel free to ask. As far as logged issue is concerned, I have recorded your concerns and intimated the relevant team about them. We will certainly share updates in this regard as soon as we have some.

Please be patient and spare us a little time. We are sorry for the delay and inconvenience.

Best Regards,

Hi Per,

Thanks for your patience.

We are pleased to inform you that the earlier logged has been resolved and its fix has been included in the latest version of the Aspose.Pdf for .NET. You can please download Aspose.Pdf for .NET 17.5 and test the scenario. In case if you face any other issue, please feel free to let us know. We are sorry for the delay and inconvenience faced.

Best Regards,