Evaluating this product and have some concerns?

Hello;
we have a product (JEE Web App) , currently we are using BCL easypdf for office documents conversion into PDF, and we are Evaluating alternatives because we are facing many problems using EasyPDF.
now Aspose java components seems to be a very bright option, I have downloaded the Eval. copy of java component Aspose.total ,and tried it(tried converting office files to PDF), the result was very satisfying, except that the formatting sometimes comes back a little messed up, I have tried the documented way :

Document document = new Document(“D:/Employee Handbook - 2011.doc”);
document.save(“D:/Employee Handbook - 2011.pdf”);
and there is a document that I’ve tried to convert that the code crashed while reading it on .doc format, but when I opened it and saved it as .docx it worked just fine, why is that?
I am wondering if there is extra steps that would keep the formatting in shape ?
and what is pros of using Aspose over EasyPDF?
your kind response is highly appreciated, thanking you in advance.

Hi,

I have not tested EasyPDF but our APIs provide a lot more features. Our APIs are more than just conversion. We offer create, read, update, convert and print features maintaining high quality.

You can work with MS Office, Open Office, PDF and many other formats. You can convert all of these formats to many other formats. Please check following links for more details.

http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/Aspose.Words+Features

http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/slidesjava/Aspose.Slides+for+Java+Features

As far as formatting or other issues are concerned, you can share your sample documents for further testing.

Best Regards,

Hello;

Kindly find the sample document that I’ve tried to convert to PDF attached bellow.
if you tried to convert it to PDF and then compare it with the original file(Doc file)
you can notice the differences.
your kindly response is highly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have generated a PDF document with Aspose.Words for Java 14.5.0 and attached it here for your reference (see out.pdf). Could you please clarify what are these issues, please create screenshot highlighting the problematic areas in this PDF and attach it here for our reference. We will investigate the issue on our end and provide you more information.

Best regards,

Hello;
Thanks for your kind response, I have looked into the file that you have attached and it looks just fine, the problem that I am facing is not present at all, can you plz tell me what is wrong in the code I have used, it is mentioned in my first post.
The problem that I face when I am trying to convert (Also using Aspose.word 14.5.0) that the text gets shifted down, which messes up the whole file formats.

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry. I did use the following simple code to generate this output PDF:

Document doc = new Document(getMyDir() + “Expression Builders - Summary.docx”);
doc.save(getMyDir() + “out.pdf”);

Please note that your Word document uses ‘Minion Pro SmBd’, ‘Wingdings 2’, ‘Calibri’, ‘Wingdings’ and ‘Symbol’ fonts. It could be that the problems occur on your side because these fonts are not installed on your machine. Please refer to the following articles for more details.

http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/How+Aspose.Words+Uses+True+Type+Fonts
http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/How+to++Specify+True+Type+Fonts+Location

I hope, this helps.

Bets regards,

thx for the response, there does not seem to be any thing wrong with the fonts .
kindky find the attached snapshot below for my document and its conversion.
Though I’ve checked the fonts, and the font ‘Minion Pro SmBd font’ is not installed on my system.

I also have a word file (.doc), when I try to convert it I get this exception :

java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String cannot be cast to [B
at com.aspose.words.zzOB.zzY(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.zzOB.zzW(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.zzOB.zzZ(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.zzOA.read(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.Document.zzY(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.Document.zzZ(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.Document.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.words.Document.(Unknown Source)
at PDFConvert.main(PDFConvert.java:23)
Done …

But when I open the same file and save it in (.docx) format, and then try to convert ,
it works just fine, why is that ??

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please install required fonts on your machine before converting your Word documents to PDF format. Also, please convert “Expression Builders - Summary.docx” to PDF and attach it here for our reference.

Secondly, please attach your input document (.doc file you’re getting exception with) here for testing. We will investigate the issue on our end and provide you more information.

Best regards,

hello;
kindly find the attached file that generated the exception mentioned in the post above.
your kind response is highly appreciated.

Hi,

Thanks for your inquiry. While using the latest version of Aspose.Words i.e. 14.5.0, I managed to reproduce this exception on my side. I have logged this issue in our bug tracking system. The ID of this issue is WORDSNET-10306. Your thread has also been linked to this issue and you will be notified via this thread as soon as it is resolved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-10306) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.