Excel file opening problem generated through .net 2.0 application and aspose.excel

Hi,

I am using Aspose.Excel for creating reports in excel format.

I am using .net 2.0 to develop the application.

Also i have Office 2000 installed on my machine.

When i run the application there is no problem in saving and opening the excel file.

But when I deployed the application on testing server, reports are not working fine. When I try to open the excel report a message comes as "Unable to read file." In my testing server i dont have Office installed.

Do i need to install Office on my testing server or there is some other problem?

Please reply asap.

Thanks in advance

Rohit

Hi Rohit,

If you want to view excel reports (.xls files) on the Server, you do need to install MS Excel or Excel Viewer on the server to view those documents. MS Excel are normally installed only for viewing purpose.

Thank you.

Hi Amjad,

Thanks for the reply. I have one more doubt.

When i am saving excel files then also it is saving file as unknow format (this is because excel is not installed in server) but the size of the file is 0 bytes. Is this also because of non availability of Excel installation. Or atleast I must be able to save files with proper size other that 0 bytes.

I suppose i am not able to read files because excel is not installed on server but atleast files must be saved with proper size. Am i correct?

Thanks

Rohit

Hi Rohit,

Well, our component demands: you do not need to install MS Excel on the server if you will not open the file with MS Excel on the server. And you are right the file should be saved with proper size.

Are you using older Aspose.Excel? and which version you are using? Could you give us info.

And please try to test with the latest Aspose.Cells for .Net downloading it from its download page: * Aspose.Cells for .NET (Download | NuGet)

For reference, please check our wiki docs: Aspose.Cells for .NET|Documentation

and also the featured demos: GitHub - aspose-cells/Aspose.Cells-for-.NET: Aspose.Cells for .NET examples, plugins and showcases

Moreover there is not much labor required to upgrade to latest Aspose.Cells (if you are using older Aspose.Excel). Some APIs (classes, struct, enumerations) are added based on some advanced features that we now offer, the previous classes (with their members) are retained and optimised but a few classes are renamed, some additional members (properties, methods etc.) are also included of the classes.

Following is few classes list which are renamed:

1. Excel class is replaced by Workbook class.

2. ExcelDesigner class is replaced by WorkbookDesigner class.

3. ExcelHelper class is replaced by CellsHelper class.

Thank you.