Exception caught instantiating ASPPSX report server extension

Getting error loading slides extensions.
I’ve performed a manual install.

extensionfactory!ReportServer_0-1!d90!05/07/2018-14:32:23:: e ERROR: Exception caught instantiating ASPPSX report server extension: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly ‘Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices, Version=3.9.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=716fcc553a201e56’ or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))
File name: ‘Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices, Version=3.9.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=716fcc553a201e56’ —> System.ArgumentException: Invalid directory on URL.

Performed the manual install per the install doc, this is it.
• The right Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices.dll for the version on SSRS (SSRS2008R2) placed in SSRS\bin folder
o Download the license to your computer and copy it to the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server<Instance>\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin folder, to the same folder where Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices.dll is installed.

• The license file Aspose.Slides.Reporting.Services.lic placed in SSRS\bin folder
o Copy Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices.dll to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server<Instance>\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin folder.

• rssrvpolicy.config – updated with code group section
o
o
o

• rsreportserver.config – updated with extension entries
o
o
o
o

Verified that permissions on Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices.dll are all inherited.

“Invalid directory on URL”
What URL is being referred to and where is it located?

@jmccla,

I have observed the issue shared by you and request you to please first verify the functioning of Reporting Services installed on your end. Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services does not work with SQL Server Express edition if you are using that. It works with SQL Server standard or higher versions with Full Trust level. Once you make sure, Reporting Services are properly configured and working then you can install Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services using MSI installer or Manually on your end by following guidelines shared in this documentation section.

Thank you for the quick response Mudassir!

We’re running 2008R2 Standard edition.

Not sure what Full Trust level means, but will ask our DBA.

I already installed Aspose manually as I mentioned in the post, following the directions.

Unsure what Full Trust level means.

Do you know anything about “Invalid directory on URL”, what URL is being referred to and where is it located/referenced?

PermissionSetName=“FullTrust”

<CodeGroup class="UnionCodeGroup" version="1" PermissionSetName="FullTrust" Name="Aspose.Slides_for_Reporting_Services" Description="This code group grants full trust to the AS4SSRS assembly.">
            <IMembershipCondition class="StrongNameMembershipCondition" version="1" PublicKeyBlob="0024zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz493bf" />
          </CodeGroup>

@jmccla,

I have observed that you are using a very old version of Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services. I suggest you to please try using latest Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services 18.4 on your end. I suggest you to please follow these guidelines on your end for installation of package. As requested earlier, please also make sure that if your report server is properly configured by exporting your reports to PDF or TIFF.

We have this version of Aspose.slides working in another environment with SSRS 2008, and need to get this working. Going to a newer version at this point is not necessary, or possible. It’s a matter of figuring out what the issue is that is preventing it from working. I’m able to export to pdf and tiff. Can you please answer my question or ask a developer that can?
Related to…

ERROR: Exception caught instantiating ASPPSX report server extension: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices, Version=3.9.1.0, Culture=neutral … System.ArgumentException: Invalid directory on URL

Do you know anything about “Invalid directory on URL”, what URL is being referred to and where is it located/referenced?

@jmccla,

We are sorry for your inconvenience. Can you please provide the config files for reporting server and development environment on your end. Secondly, I also request you to please provide the complete stack trace with us. Additionally, can you please make sure how much instances of SQL are installed on your end. If you have multiple instances, can you please make sure if you are using right instance on your end for configuring Aspose.Slides.

Mudassir,

Thank you again for the quick response.
I’m perplexed why I can’t get an answer to a seemingly simple question.
Development should definitely have seen this error and know what “Invalid directory on URL” means.

ERROR: Exception caught instantiating ASPPSX report server extension:
System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly ‘Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices, Version=3.9.1.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=716fcc553a201e56’ or one of its dependencies. The parameter is incorrect. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070057 (E_INVALIDARG))
File name: ‘Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices, Version=3.9.1.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=716fcc553a201e56’ —> System.ArgumentException: Invalid directory on URL.

• I cannot provide the config files, but able to provide info related to Aspose, and can check any other specific settings that you reference.
o rsreportserver.config

o rssrvpolicy.config

• I’m not sure what you’re talking about as far as stack trace. Attached is ReportServerService log
• We do not have multiple instances of SQL Server installed

rsreportserver.config

rssrvpolicy.config

contents won’t paste

Thank you for your time and advice Mudassir!
I was able to find and download …Net SDK that contained gacutil and try that … and resolved the issue.

gacutil /I Aspose.Slides.ReportingServices.dll

@jmccla,

It is good to hear that things are fixed on your end. Please share with us if there is any issue incurring on your end.