Exception"Invalid Operation" when converting PPTX to PDF with FIPS mode enabled using Aspose.Slides for .NET

Hello,

We’re currently seeing an exception get thrown when attempting to convert some PPTX files to PDF via Aspose.Slides. This particular exception happens when the ‘FIPS mode’ Group Policy is enabled in Windows:

“InvalidOperationException: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms.”

The code used to trigger this (In C#):

FileStream stream = new FileStream(@"File Path", FileMode.Open);
Presentation presentation = new Presentation(stream);
presentation.Save(@"output_file", SaveFormat.Pdf); // Exception is thrown on this line

The attachment includes two PPTX files, one which will trigger the error and one which won’t. The names should make it clear which is which.

pptx_files.zip (1.3 MB)

From the stack trace, I can tell that you’re trying to create a MD5 provider, and MD5 cannot be used in FIPS mode. What wasn’t clear to me was what it is about the second PPTX file is different from the first, and hence causes you to create the MD5 provider. It would be very useful to know if there is some type of security setting on the second PPTX file which causes you to attempt to use some security settings for the PDF that require the use of MD5. I’ve looked all the settings I can view off of the Presentation object and I can’t find anything of consequence that is different. In addition, it is something about converting to PDF specifically that triggers the error - converting the PPTX to TIFF does not trigger the error.

Let me know if you need any more information. I have tested this in the newest version of Aspose.Slides, v18.3, and it throws the exception.

Thank you,
Matthew Kilgore

@mkilgore,

I have observed your comments. An issue with ID SLIDESNET-40060 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be notified once the issue will be fixed.

Hi @Adnan.Ahmad,

After doing a little more digging on my end, I managed to find a reproducable test case for this error. I doubt this is the only way to trigger it, but I am able to reliably trigger the error by creating an empty PowerPoint and then inserting a shape with a ‘fill’ (gradient or texture) into the PowerPoint. I attached a PPTX file with such an example that fails to convert.

pptx_FIPS_bug_example.zip (22.4 KB)

Thank you,
Matthew Kilgore

@mkilgore,

I have observed your comments. We will share good news with you soon. I request for your patience.

Hi @Adnan.Ahmad,

Would it be possible to get an update on this? I noticed the status changed to postponed.

Thank you,
Matt Kilgore

@mkilgore,

I have verified issue status from our issue tracking system. I regret to inform that issue is postponed due to more priority issues in our schedule. We will share further details regarding this issue. This thread has been linked with issue so that you may be automatically notified once issue will be fixed.

Can someone please provide a public fix for the FIPS issue? I am having the same issue and cannot figure a way around.

@rileyja.

I have verified the ticket status from our issue tracking system and it has been scheduled for investigation during Week 43 or 2018. We will update you with further information as soon as it will be available after investigation and resolution.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool from Downloads module by MuzammilKhan

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESNET-40060) have been fixed in this update.