Exporting issues

The attached PPT file has some problems when rendering to PNG and PDF:

• The used font is wrong (I don’t mean the StarSymbol font, but the Times New Roman. Aspose.Slides seems to be using Arial or similar)
  • Words are wrapped individually in some cases and looks very bad
  • There are no bullet points
  • Right alignment doesn’t work (check slides 17 & 18)
  • The embedded PDF image on slide 31 is missing some shapes (the ones with shadows)
  • The image on slide 35 is the wrong size (it’s a bit bigger than it should)
Thanks

Hi Edu,

I have worked with the presentation file shared by you using Aspose.Slides for Java 8.5.0 on my end. I have not been able to observe the issues specified in generated PDF and thumbnails. Can you please try using the specified version on your end. I have used Windows 7 x64 with JD 1.6 on my end.

If there is still an issue then please share the issues in the form of output snapshots along with generated output and I will try my best to help you further. Please also share the platform information as well.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir, thank you for your reply.

My tests have been done on Mac 10.9, with Java 1.7 and Aspose.Slides 8.5.0.

Attached are the output PNG files (some of them, but every slide looks more or less the same).

The file looks correctly on the same machine with both Keynote and LibreOffice

Hi Edu,

I have observed the slide thumbnails shared by you and like to share that it is due to missing fonts on your end. You need to install the fonts used in your presentation. I have verified the presentation and have observed following fonts have been used in presentation.

1. Arial
  2. Lucida Sans Unicode
  3. Wingdings

I have attached the fonts used over this link. Please try using the fonts on your end to generate PDF or thumbnails.

String path=“/Users/mudassir_controlled/Documents/Aspose/”;
String FontPath=path+“Fonts/”;
FontsLoader.loadExternalFonts(new String[]{FontPath});
Presentation pres=Presentation(path+“report.pptx”);
pres.save(path+“report.pptx.pdf”,SaveFormat.Pdf);

I hope this will be helpful. Please share, if I may help you further in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hi again Mudassir,

• I’ve checked the presentation, and the text used in almost all the slides seems to be Times New Roman, and not Arial or any of the others you mention.
  • Also, I have all those fonts installed in my system anyway, so that doesn’t seem to be the case.
  • Also, even if I didn’t have them, that doesn’t explain why Aspose.Slides is wrapping words in the middle of sentences, or why is wrapping at all. I’ve checked the bounding boxes for a lot of the text objects in the presentation, and they are quite large.
  • It also doesn’t explain why the alignment is not working or any of the other issues I mentioned.
I also forgot to comment that not all issues are present on both PDF and PNG versions.

I created another simple file to show the problem, and attached the rendered PNG and PDF versions as well.

Details:
  • File was created on my machine, and it contains two text objects, a title and a body content.
  • Both have Tahoma set as a font. That font is installed in my system
  • Body content is right aligned
  • Body content is bulleted
Problems on PNG:
  • The phantom “Click to edit the title text format” is appearing
  • Last word of every sentence is wrapping
  • Even with the wrapping, the right alignment looks wrong
  • Font looks like Tahoma, although parenthesis are not the right ones
  • Bullets are nowhere to be seen
  • When rendering this format, the following appeared on the console 3 times (debug output, one per bullet point?)
    startingAt=0; endingAt=0
    fComponentLimit=1
Problems on PDF:
  • Font is not the right one
  • The right alignment is wrong
  • The bullet points are there, but the appear as boxes
Hope this helps to pinpoint the issues.

I tried on Linux with the same Java version for completeness, and I’ve found:

• On PNG, there is no wrapping
  • The font seems ok in both formats
  • The alignment looks ok on both PNG and PDF
  • There is no debug output on the PNG version
  • The right parenthesis are used on PNG
  • There are bullets on PNG, but they look like boxes again
  • There is still phantom text
So besides the phantom text and the bullets, this seems to be a Mac problem.

Hi Edu,

I have worked with Tahoma.ppt using Aspose.Slides for Java 8.5.0 in Mac environment with JDK 1.7_70 installed. I have observed improper bullet rendering along with text cropping issue inside PDF. An issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-34362 has been created in our issue tracking system to investigate and resolve the issue. A separate issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-34363 has been created in our issue tracking system to investigate and resolve the issue of improper text wrapping for generated thumbnails. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi again Mudassir,

Thank you very much!

Hi Edu,

Our development team has observed the issue and it seems that Wingding and Tahoma fonts are missing in your MAC installation. Bullets are improperly rendered because of absence Wingding font in your Mac OS.

Please copy the fonts in a MAC directory and refer its path in your application using following sample code before calling presentation.

FontsLoader.loadExternalFonts(new String[]{path});

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

I created that example in my Mac, that has Tahoma, Wingdings, Wingdings 2 and Wingdings 3 installed, as installed by Microsoft Office for Mac.

Also, take into account the PDF version works correctly (regarding to bullets at least) in the same machine.

Hi Edu,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We will investigate the issue further on our end to help you further in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

I’ve found that Aspose has problems with fonts installed on a Mac by Microsoft Office in general, even when those fonts appear installed in my system, Aspose can’t find any of them (like “Times New Roman”) when I do findFonts(). This must be related to that problem.

I’ve tried with more than one Mac computer, with the same result.

Hope this helps.

Hi Edu,

Thanks for your further investigation. I suggest you to please copy the used font in some custom directory in your MAC installation and then try accessing that directory with font using FontsLoader. Please share your feedback with us after performing the test as it will help narrowing down the issue further.

FontsLoader.loadExternalFonts(new String[]{path});
PresentationEx pres=new PresentationEx(“pres.pptx”);

Many Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-34363) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.

Hi Edu,

Can you please try using Aspose.Slides for Java 15.6.0 on your end and kindly share if you are still facing issue SLIDESJAVA-34362: Improperly rendered bullets in exported PDF.

If you are still facing the issue then please confirm if Tahoma and Wingdings fonts are available on your MAC installation. If Mac has Tahoma and Wingdings, Pdf and thumbnail renders correctly. From Aspose.Slides for Java 14.9.0 we have included warnings for fonts substitution. Can you please check the bullet rendering issue with Aspose.Slides for Java 15.6.0 and share with us fonts substitution warnings using following code.

{
LoadOptions lo = new LoadOptions();
lo.setWarningCallback(new HandleFontsWarnings());
Presentation presentation = new Presentation(presentationFileName, lo);
presentation.save(pdfFileName, SaveFormat.Pdf);
}
class HandleFontsWarnings implements IWarningCallback
{
public int warning(IWarningInfo warning)
{
System.out.println(warning.getWarningType()); // 1 - WarningType.DataLoss
System.out.println(warning.getDescription()); // "Font will be substituted from X
return ReturnAction.Continue;
}
}

Also it’ll be helpful to us to know directory with Tahoma and Wingdings fonts in customers Mac.

Many Thanks,