Exporting multi-column report to DOC or DOCX

We have several SSRS reports designed to print on Avery labels. For some of the reports, our users want to be able to manually edit the text for labels before printing, so we installed Aspose.Words for Reporting Services. Our goal is to run the report in SSRS and then use A.W for RS to export the report as a DOC or DOCX document, allowing the users to do final edits before printing. However, the exported report appears as a single column in the Word document. Is there an option that I need to set for the exported report to appear in multiple columns in the Word document?

Thanks,
Brian.

Hi Brian,

Multi-column reports are not yet supported by AW4RS but I'll implement it in a few days since you have requested it. Could you please attach some of your reports for testing purposes?

Thank you.

Here is the report that we consider to be most important. I’ll upload more reports later.

This part of our project had been put on hold for a while. We're ready to resume it, so I downloaded and installed the latest version of AW4RS. I still just see the single column when I export the report to DOC or DOCX format.

Do you still plan to implement exporting multi-column reports? If so, do you have a rough time estimate of when you expect that feature to be available?

Thanks,
Brian.

Brian,

The export of multi-column reports is already implemented; I'll test your report to figure out what is not correct and then get back to you shortly.

Thanks.

Brian,

I have tested your report using a dummy data source and gotten a document with 2 text columns as expected, please find attached. Are you sure you are using the most recent version of AWRS? Also, columns are exported in the flow layout only, didn't you specify the positioned layout in the configuration file?

Thanks.

The DLL version and the config info look ok to me, but I still see only the single column whenever I export the report to DOC or DOCx format.

The Aspose.Words.ReportingServices.dll file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies folder is version 2.2.0.0. Here is an excerpt from the RSReportDesigner.config file in that same folder:

Full

Full

Note that I have tried using Auto, Partial and Full for FlowMode and saw the same results with all three values.

Have I overlooked something?

The information you have provided looks okay to me too, but the 2.2 version of the assembly should 100% export two columns in the output document if there are two columns specified in the source report. What comes to mind then:

1. Please attach the resulting Word document to have a look.
  2. Did you restart Visual Studio after installing the new assembly (quite a rhetorical question as you wouldn't be able to replace the dll when the report designer is open)?
  3. Did you use Visual Studio report designer only or Report Manager produces the same result?

Thanks.

I tried uninstalling all versions of the DLL, ran the install again for 2.2.0.0, and then rebooted. I tried using VS report designer as well as Report Manager as well as exporting to both DOC and DOCX formats. I saw the same result in all places: the resulting document only contains a single column. I have attached the file.

Would it make a difference with using the trial version of the product?

Thanks,
Brian.

No way; I have found the cause instead. The document actualy contains two columns (you can check this in the appropriate dialog in Word) but AWRS inserts page breaks at the end of the first column which makes the second one empty. This should not be done and should be fixed. Please expect a hotfix tomorrow or so.

Thanks.

Please try out the attached assembly. Since I cannot reproduce your issue on my side, I'm not 100% sure it will work as expected; however, excessive page breaks should not be exported now.

Tell me if it works to you.

It looks like the new assembly fixed the problem. Thanks!