External cell references

Hi,

Our client created a report in Excel with external cell references to Aspose generated files, which have the date in the file name and there’s a new set of files every day. They would like to modify the date in the file name part of the cell references in their own workbook. This would work if all the files were created in Excel, without opening the new set of files. But with Aspose generated files the modified references result in a #REF? value until they open the referenced files.

Is there a solution to this?

thanks,
Laszlo Borsos
MSCI Barra

Hi Laszlo,

Thank you for considering Aspose.

Well, we are not clear about your requirement. If you want to update the external file references using Aspose.Cells for Java then I am afraid, this feature is not supported yet. If you have some other scenario, please explain it in abit more detail and provide us with your template file and we will check it soon.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Hi,

File “A” that references other workbooks is created, modified and viewed only in Excel.
The referenced files are created by Aspose and there are new files every day with new names.
The references in file “A” are rewritten by hand daily with the new file names.
At this time the references are not updated, but REF error is shown in such cells.

If you OPEN all the referenced files, the references are then updated. That’s what they’d like to avoid.
If the referenced files are created by Excel, the references are updated regardless of whether you open them or not.

thanks,
Laszlo

Hi Laszlo,

Well, I am afraid this feature for updating the external references is not supported yet in Aspose.Cells for Java.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Hi,

Now that you successfully released a new version, I would like to inquire whether there is any chance that you can support this feature some time in the near future. I wonder why are Aspose generated files so different from native Excel, that this seemingly automatic Excel function gets disabled.

Thanks in advance,
Laszlo

Hi,

We will analyze the feature and update you soon.

Kindly keep in touch.

Thank you.

Hi Laszlo,
After further analyzing your requirement, I am afraid, we cannot support this feature soon. Actually, it is a bit complex to support External references because it requires some extra and complex objects and records for representing and saving them. We will look into it later and try to support them ASAP after finishing some important tasks in schedule.
Thank you for being patient,

Hi,

This feature has been supported. Please download the latest version: Aspose.Cells for Java 7.0.1