Extract/Import annotations to/from xfdf doesn't work properly

We are using pdf.kit for Java to extract annotations from several marked up versions of the same original document and then merging them back into the original, so all reviewers comments are combined. There are several features of annotations that don’t appear to export or import correctly:

1. All comments lose the date they were entered and become indeterminate
2. Any Text Box or Text Callout with a new line character, only the last line of text is captured
3. Stamps that are not straight and solid (no opacity) don’t appear.
4. Arrows do not show proper arrowheads and line thickness.
5. All replies to comments are separated from their original comments and show up as separate sticky notes near the original
6. All status changes to comments are separated and show up as separate sticky notes at the bottom of the document
7. Checkmarks on comments are lost
8. Opacity changes to comments are lost
9. Audio comments are lost

In addition, if I made the line style of an arrow dashed it caused an error on the import step, and the final pdf gave an error when opening it saying there was an error on the page.

Some of these items are minor (audio for example), but others are quite serious when trying to merge comments. The dates not displaying, the text boxes losing text and the statuses and replies being separated make this very difficult to say it works.

I’ve attached a file with the Java code used to test this and 4 files. The original clean pdf, the annotated pdf, the fxdf created by the exportAnnotationsXfdf process and the merged pdf created by the importAnnotationsFromXfdf process.

Hi Mike,

I have reproduced this issue (all the mentioned problems) at my end and logged it as PDFKITJAVA-32904 in our issue tracking system. Our team will look into this issue and you’ll be updated via this forum thread once it is resolved.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

Is there any way to track the progress of this ticket to get a better idea when the fixes might be available?

Hi Mike,

I’m afraid, currently there is no way to directly view the progress of the issue during the development process. However, you’ll be able to see the Resolved status along with the issue id at the top left of this thread once the issue is fixed. I would also like to share with you that, as this issue is just logged, our team still needs to investigate it. It has been added in the development queue and you’ll be notified as soon as it is resolved.

If you find any further questions, please do let us know.
Regards,

Can you tell me what the status of this bug is? Has it been targeted for a future release and if so, is there an estimate for when that release will be available?

Hi Mike,

I’m sorry to share with you that this issue is not yet resolved. This issue is in the development queue, however I’m afraid, our team is currently working on the issues reported earlier. We’re unable to share any ETA of this issue at the moment. We’ll get the idea of the ETA of this issue as soon as our team starts analyzing and then resolving this issue.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

How many items are on the queue in front of this? This is a MAJOR bug that makes the annotations functionality of the Java PDF.Kit tool useless. Some of these items seem to have been fixed in the .Net version, why they were not fixed in the Java version also is perplexing as they were obviously already reported previously.

Hi Mike,

I have increased the priority of this issue; however, I’m afraid, it is not feasible for us to share the ETA of this issue at the moment. Moreover, we’re also working on the new version which will be autoported from .NET version, so that any features and fixes supported by .NET version are also supported by Java version at the same time.

Nevertheless, we’re very sorry for the inconvenience for now. We appreciate your cooperation in this regard.

Thanks,

Hi Mike,

I’m pleased to inform you that this issue has been fixed in our upcoming monthly release. The new release will be available at the end of this week or early next week. You’ll be notified via this forum thread once the release is published.

If you need any further assistance, please do let us know.
Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFKITJAVA-32904) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

I’ve tried to download the 4.2.0 release several times now, but it appears to be an invalid .zip file.

Hi Mike,

The download issue is fixed. Please try it now at your end. If you still find any issue or have further questions, please do let us know.

Regards,