Figured out the license thing. Now- can I license an old version?

I have been pluggin away at this thing in my spare time for almost a year now, and finally got ready to implement. Now, I get a gazillion outdated references when trying to compile, and the new license won’t work with the old version.

I am such a dummy it would take me another year to update all my code to reflect current methods, and I really don’t NEED it to do anything but what the old version does.

So… is there ANY way that I can get a license for my old version (it’s in the 1.8’s) rather than re-doing all my code to fit the 2.5 version?

Thanks, and sorry. I bet Roman is Sooooo glad I am back and ready to go.

Shannon

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for considering Aspose.

Aspose.Word API has not changed that much since 1.8 so you probably have some other problems. Could you please describe what’s namely wrong? We would be able to help you to resolve the issues then.

Instead of getting an old license, you should however use the new version of the component and new license. Even if you do not need the new features, you’ll be saved from any bugs and errors that have been fixed in the latest version.

Please refer here to learn how to set the new license:

https://docs.aspose.com/words/net/licensing/

Hey Dmitry!

All I know is I can compile the 1.8 version, but 2.5 gives me all kinds of crud. Here are the results from command line with old version:

Microsoft ® Visual C# .NET Compiler version 7.10.6001.4
for Microsoft ® .NET Framework version 1.1.4322
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation 2001-2002. All rights reserved.

and here with the same package being compiled with the new version:

domerge.aspx.cs(42,4): warning CS0618: ‘Aspose.Word.Word’ is obsolete: 'Use the License class instead.'
domerge.aspx.cs(42,20): warning CS0618: ‘Aspose.Word.Word’ is obsolete: 'Use the License class instead.'
domerge.aspx.cs(48,19): warning CS0618: ‘Aspose.Word.Word.Open(string)’ is obsolete: 'Use new Document(string) instead.'
domerge.aspx.cs(198,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘RowHeightRule’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
newadder.aspx.cs(41,4): warning CS0618: ‘Aspose.Word.Word’ is obsolete: 'Use the License class instead.'
newadder.aspx.cs(41,20): warning CS0618: ‘Aspose.Word.Word’ is obsolete: 'Use the License class instead.'
newadder.aspx.cs(47,29): warning CS0618: ‘Aspose.Word.Word.Open(string)’ is obsolete: 'Use new Document(string) instead.'
newadder.aspx.cs(110,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘RowHeightRule’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
remover.aspx.cs(40,4): warning CS0618: ‘Aspose.Word.Word’ is obsolete: 'Use the License class instead.'
remover.aspx.cs(40,20): warning CS0618: ‘Aspose.Word.Word’ is obsolete: 'Use the License class instead.'
remover.aspx.cs(46,29): warning CS0618: ‘Aspose.Word.Word.Open(string)’ is obsolete: 'Use new Document(string) instead.'
remover.aspx.cs(111,35): error CS0246: The type or namespace name ‘RowHeightRule’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

Looks like my main problems are Word.word and Word.Open. But you’ve gotta understand – it took me like six months to figure those out. I have trouble playing C# on a piano when someone tells me which key to push.

I will be looking at the new tutorials to see if I can figure it out. Just hoping there was a way I could buy the old version instead of the new so I wouldn’t have to – 1.8 works fine for what I need.

Thanks!

Shannon

These problems are easy to resolve. Just do the following:

1. Since the Word class is now obsolete, after you switch to the new version of the component and new license, replace all the occurences of Word.SetLicense with License.SetLicense like this:
License license = new License();
license.SetLicense("Aspose.Word.lic");
  1. Due to the same reason, use the Document constructor when need to instantiate a Document object instead of the obsolete Word.Open method.

2. The RowHeightRule enumeration was recently replaced with the HeightRule enumeration so simply make the appropriate changes to your source code.

As you can see, there’re not so many changes to do in order to make your code working with the latest version of Aspose.Word. So please apply them and get the new version working stable and fast.