Formula recalculation in embedded excel

Hi,

we have a PowerPoint with a chart. The values for the chart are calculated with formulas in an embedded excel table. When we change the values the formulas rely on, can Aposes.Slides recalculate all formulas and update the chart’s values?

Regards
Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Slides.

I have observed the requirements shared by you and like to share that excel worksheet cells are mapped with chart series data. If the value in the chart cell gets changed, it will also change the value of chart series in the chart inside PowerPoint.

Please share, if I may help you further in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

thanks for your reply. Is the functionality included in Aspose.Slides or do I additionally need Aspose.Cells?

Regards
Frank

I have observed my requirement myself with the trial version of Aspose.Slides and unfortunatelly I can’t confirm your answer. As an example I attached a presention. The presentation has one slide with one chart. The chart has one value, which is calculated by a formula in the embedded excel file. The formula in the cell B2 is “=B5”. When I now change the value of B5 and save the presentation, then the formula is lost. Instead of the formula, in B2 stands the old value. The used code to update the cell:

ISlide slide = pres.getSlides().get_Item(0);
for (IShape shp : slide.getShapes()) {
if (shp instanceof Chart) {
Chart chart = (Chart) shp;
IChartData chartData= chart.getChartData();
IChartDataWorkbook chartDataWorkbook = chartData.getChartDataWorkbook();
IChartDataCell chartDataCell = chartDataWorkbook.getCell(0,“B5”);
chartDataCell.setValue(new Integer(5));
}
}

Hi Frank,

I have worked with the presentation file shared by you and have observed the effect of Formula value getting reset for the cell mapped for chart data point. An issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-34853 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi,

thanks for creating the issue. Is there an approximation for the fix?

Regards,
Frank

Hi Frank,

I like to share that the issue has just recently been created in our issue tracking system and is pending for investigation. Our product team will schedule the issue for investigation and resolution on its due turn and we will be able to share the feedback regarding the ETA with you afterwards. I will really appreciate your patience in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir
Thanks for taking care of the request. I’m a colleague of Frank and we are trying to find out whether we can wait for the fix or have to search for an alternative. We have to deliver our solution by end of July, the formula issue is crucial for it. Is there any chance that a fix will be available by then?
Sorry for me being a bit pushy…
Thanks a lot for a short feedback.
Kind Regards
Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I have discussed the issue status with our product team and like to share that this issue is blocked owing to missing implementation in Aspose.Slides for .Net and an internal issue has already been created to resolve this in Aspose.Slides for .Net first. It has been scheduled for resolution in coming week at the moment. After resolution in .Net release it will be ported to Aspose.Slides for Java. We will appreciate your patience in this regard and will share good news with you as soon as the issue will be fixed.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir
thanks for your update. We hope to hear the good news for Java very soon;-)

Kind regards
Matthias

Hi Matthias,

We will for sure share the good news with you as soon as it will be shared by our product team.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir
thanks again for your update.
We will have to decide about the technology we will use for our project shortly, therefore I would appreciate an update about the resolution of the formula issue. Has this been fixed in .NET? Is there already a schedule when the fix will be available for java?
I know it’s annoying but we would really like to use the Aspose framework so I want to make sure that there is no chance to get the fix in time before we take the decision for a different solution.

Thanks and kind regards
Matthias

Hi Matthias,

I like to share that the concerned internal .NET blocking ticket has been marked as resolved. I have discussed with our product team and like to share in upcoming version of Aspose.Slides for Java 15.5.0, we will provide fix for retaining the formulas values inside embedded excel. However, the support for applying the calculated formula cell value on chart will not be available and is a complex requirement. A separate ticket with ID SLIDESJAVA-34897 has been added as new feature request in our issue tracking system to investigate the implementation of applying calculated formula cell value for the chart data item.

We will share the good news with you as soon as the concerned issue SLIDESJAVA-34853 assoocaited with this thread will get resolved.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir

Thanks again for your feedback. Just to make sure that we understand correctly:
The use case Frank described in 627602 will not be fully supported with the next version:
1. The formula (e.g. in cell B2 “=B5”) will not get lost anymore when cell B5 is updated
2. Anyhow the value which we add in cell B5 will not show in cell B2
3. And the value which we add in cell B5 will not be used for the chart
Are my assumptions correct?

Is there a release date for Aspose.Slides for Java 15.5.0?

Thanks for a short confirmation.

Kind regards
Matthias

Hi Matthias,

Yes your assumptions are right for the upcoming fix in the issue. Aspose.Slides for Java 15.5.0 will be released during next week. We will share the good news with you as soon as the product release will be available online.

Many Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-34853) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.