Generic HTML to DOC / DOCX capability

Hi there, I’ve looked over all of the HTML to doc examples and forum posts on your website, but I haven’t been able to find out what limitations Aspose.Words runs into when converting HTML to DOC.

I’ve used Evo to convert HTML to PDF, see http://www.evopdf.com/. Their component is easy to use and does an almost pixel perfect job of rendering web pages to PDF in many cases. Their component actually processes all of the HTTP resource requests, you just pass in some parameters such as the URL, any authentication information, etc.

I have an HTML report that my client really likes. He’d like to have a Word version of the report, but the report uses many JavaScript libraries to render charts etc. After trying a cursory sample of your component to do HTML to doc, it doesn’t appear that it’s going to work for my needs.

Does Aspose.Words support processing of HTML pages - i.e. dynamically loading all CSS and applying that CSS to the DOM in realtime a web rendering engine (say Webkit, etc.), in order to generate doc files? Perhaps that and JavaScript processing? Or is it less functional than that?

Do you have some complex examples, or perhaps a generic example page that I could see that would let me choose any random URL for your engine to parse and convert to doc?

If not, may I suggest this as a feature request? Check out some of Evo’s examples - the quality of the HTML to PDF conversions that they produce is really good.

Thanks
Shan

Hi Shan,
Thank you for your interest in Aspose.Words. Yes, using Aspose.Words you can convert your HTML documents to Word documents. Aspose.Words support CSS, but does not execute JavaScript upon loading HTML.
Also, you should note that Aspose.Words was originally designed to work with MS Word documents. That is why upon processing HTML some features of HTML might be lost.
Unfortunately, currently we do not have a list of features supported/unsupported upon loading HTML. However, we have a list of supported feature upon exporting to HTML. Most of these features can be roundtrip:
https://docs.aspose.com/words/net/save-in-html-xhtml-mhtml-formats/
For testing purpose, you can try converting your HTML report to DOC using an evaluation version of Aspose.Words. Or simply attach it here, I will convert it to DOC and send the result back to you.
Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-5557) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(11)