GridWeb.ImportExcelFile throws exception "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Hi,
After further testing we found a blocker issue. In the attached zip file there are two excel files. And we failed to load both files. These two files are very important as our clients are going to use them very often. While loading “Default.xlsx” we got the following error:
x9d2539cac3622db3.xd99703fc93e39436 was unhandled by user code
Message=Invalid Excel2007Xlsx file format
Source=Aspose.Cells.GridWeb
StackTrace:
at xabb58b8f2887ff8e.x9d49ab444acbddce.x6de49ff7d3f4237c()
at xabb58b8f2887ff8e.x9d49ab444acbddce.x06b0e25aa6ad68a9()
at xabb58b8f2887ff8e.xe95a61e48a6637a3.x2e7f798eabefe5b4(xcf736b78463acc83 xce16031e3118b903, Stream xcf18e5243f8d5fd3)
at x9d2539cac3622db3.xcf736b78463acc83.x875132d7c028b6d4(Stream xcf18e5243f8d5fd3, x1e4394fcb6d34948 x27aceb70372bde46)
at x9d2539cac3622db3.xcf736b78463acc83.x875132d7c028b6d4(String xafe2f3653ee64ebc, x1e4394fcb6d34948 x27aceb70372bde46)
at x9d2539cac3622db3.xcf736b78463acc83…ctor(String file)
at xd217579df7b1e971.x16626c3c4b40f0eb…ctor(String fileName)
at Aspose.Cells.GridWeb.Data.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile(String fileName)
at UsingAsposeGrid._Default.LoadGrid() in D:\Downloads\Aspose\UsingAsposeGrid\UsingAsposeGrid\Default.aspx.cs:line 34
at UsingAsposeGrid._Default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Downloads\Aspose\UsingAsposeGrid\UsingAsposeGrid\Default.aspx.cs:line 19
at System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller(IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.Util.CalliEventHandlerDelegateProxy.Callback(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)
InnerException:

While loading “Entity Spreadsheet.xls” the code haults at the line grid.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile() method for indefinite time and there are memory leaks. This file contains a hidden sheet named as “ValidationData”.

We’ve already bought the component with Order Number: 110131223727. And we planned to go in live within couple of days. Can u please look into the problem and give us a solution ASAP?

Thanks
Wahid

Hi,

Thanks for providing us the template files.

I have tested the issues and found both of them, I
found the exception loading the “Default.xlsx” file to GridWeb while using other file
“Entity Spreadsheet.xls” will take indefinite time to be loaded into
the GridWeb.

I have logged your the issue(s) as an id: CELLSNET-24155 into our issue tracking system. But we might look into the issue in the next week or so. The reason is our main Chinese developer of GridWeb control is on leave for their new year’s festival, he will re-join us after a week (from now onwards) or so.

Once we figure it out, we will provide you a fix here.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused!

Hi,

We have fixed the issues in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.4.2.2004 (attached). The two Excel files you provided are loaded properly now by the version.

Thank you.

Hi,
I’ve tried the latest attached version. For proper communication I’ve attached the project where I tested it. As you said that you’ve fixed the issues, to me its not fixed. While loading the file ~\UsingAsposeGrid\ExcelFiles\Entity Spreadsheet.xls or ~\UsingAsposeGrid\ExcelFiles\Default.xlsx (These are the two files that I attached in my last post) using my attached project I found the following BLOCKER ISSUES:

1. It takes very, very long time to load these two files. Which is completely unexceptable.
  2. Trying to load the simple file ~\UsingAsposeGrid\ExcelFiles\Calendar.xlsx, after first time loading done you will see that w3wp process takes huge CPU and memory. And for each page refresh it increases exponentially. This is completely unexceptable as there may be thousands of users who will access the page same time and for your component our server will down for SURE. I’m sure there are memory leakage at the component. Use some profiling tool to see.
  3. After loading the simple file Calendar.xlsx, start editing on an ediatble cell (e.g. abc), now try to navigate to another sheet while the cursor is still at the cell where you edited. You’ll see that “Loading” message is showing for indefinite time and its not possible to navigate to other sheet for the above usecase.
Please consider my above issues seriously and do some BASIC TESTING before delivering the fix to me. I think I’ve waited long enough and still I didn’t get your component at any state for production use.

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback and sample project.

Well, when we simply loads all your three files using the coding lines in a separate project,
e.g.

GridWeb1.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile(@“e:\test2\Entity Spreadsheet.xls”); //6,7 seconds
GridWeb1.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile(@“e:\test2\Default.xlsx”); //1-2 seconds
GridWeb1.WebWorksheets.ImportExcelFile(@“e:\test2\Calendar.xlsx”);//1-2 seconds

we think all your files are loaded fine.

We will investigate your issue and try to deploy your project to run it if we could find the issue you have mentioned. Once we have any update we will let you know.

Thank you.

Hi,
Thanks for your quick reply. For the Entity Spreadsheet.xls file it took approximately 5/6 minutes at the project I attached if it succeed. Most of the time it doesn’t succeed to load. I guess there may be something missing in my code. Also please ensure that there are no memory leakage and severe CPU usage.

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

If a formula refers to a cell exceeding the max row/column, GridWeb control will create them by default. There are some cells contains some formulas referring to “‘Tax attributes’!A5005” in “Entity Spreadsheet.xls”, the max row has beed extended to 5005 in ‘Tax attributes’ worksheet. There are a lot of contents need to be rendered in IE. So, the performance is very low. And if setting EnableAjax = true, many cells will be created and added into formulas calculation chains.

We provide a property named “AutoExtendMaxRowColumn” to indicate whether to extend max row / column automatically when calculating formulas in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.4.2.2006. We set AutoExtendMaxRowColumn = false in your project, your sample files are loaded properly. Please use this property and set it to false.

We have not found any memory leakage issue. If you find, please provide us some screen-shots with your profile tool.

We will fix the issue of “Loading message is shown for indefinite time” soon.

Hi,
I had a quick test with the latest dll you attached. The AutoExtendMaxRowColumn = false works and “Entity Spreadsheet.xls” now loads within 7-9 seconds. But the latest dll has problem with IE. The “Html Parsing Error…” javascript error is back again.

To see the memory leakage, load the “Default.xlsx” with the UsingAsposeGrid.csproject that I attached before. Now open Windows task manager. Find w3wp.exe. Now just navigate different sheets for sometime. You will see that memory usage is increasing un-expectedly for the w3wp.exe process.

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,
In the attached excel file there are some simple formulae which doesn’t work at WebGrid. Would you please investigate?

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

Please update all files in /acw_client/ virtual directory with /acw_client directory contained in the zip file (Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.4.2.2006.zip). This will resolve the issue of html/javascript error which mentioned in your previous reply.

We will fix the simple formulas error in your excel file soon.

We used your default.xlsx file to test the memory leakage issue without debugging. The windows task manager shows the w3wp.exe process using about 64M memory usage. After some operations of switching worksheet in IE, the memory usage increases to about 80M. Then the memory usage will stop increasing. We used a memory tool to detect the memory leakage issue. The tool shows that the VirtualMemory will increase a little after switching worksheet every time. The VirtualMemory is managed by .net framework, and all live instances of managed objects in GridWeb are not changed. GridWeb control is implemented with 100% managed code. We think this is a memory management strategy of asp.net.

Hi,

We have fixed the bug of IF function in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.4.2.2008.

Hi,
I’ve tested the Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.4.2.2008 version. The IF formula works fine now. But still I do have the "HTML parsing error… " javascript error at IE. I’ve replaced the acw_client directory with the latest one.

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

We have fixed the issue of HTML parsing error in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.5.0.2000. It should be caused by KB927917.

Please update the dll and acwmain.js.

Hi,
I’ve tested the latest dll Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.5.0.2000. HTML parsing error is gone for IE. But sheet browsing isn’t possible now for all browsers:(. Loading message is showing for indefinite time if you try to browse any other sheet.

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi,

We have fixed two bugs in Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.5.0.2001.

1. unable to change worksheet in EnableAjax mode.

2. unable to submit changing worksheet with an editing cell all together in EnableAjax mode.

It works fine in IE and FireFox now. Please update the dll and acwmain.js files.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 24155;24155) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 24155;24155) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(1)

Hi,
I found an issue with the version 2.5.0.2001 that I’m using right now. If you load the attached excel file “CurrencyFormat.xlsx” with the project that I attached before, you’ll see that for each currency formatted cells the grid shows unnecessary token “_)” at the end of each cell value.

Thanks.
Wahid

Hi Wahid,

Yes, we noticed the issue you have talked about using your latest file “CurrencyFormat.xlsx”. I have reopened your issue “CELLSNET-24155” again, we will figure it out soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

Please try Aspose.Cells.GridWeb v2.5.0.2002 (attached). We have fixed the number formatting issue.

Thank you.