Headers and footers are not yet supported

Is this beacause I am using the evaluation edition or is this feature not yet available ?

See below.

Thanks,
Mark

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Headers and footers are not yet supported.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NotImplementedException: Headers and footers are not yet supported.

Hi Mark,

Support for headers and footers will be available in v1.2 release closer to the end of Februrary. As a beta it will be available sometime earlier.

Hi Mark,

Aspose.Word 1.1.2 that supports headers and footers and other features is available here http://www.aspose.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3710#4175.

Hi Roman,

This did indeed fix the problem I had.

Unfortunately, the word template I’m using is quite rich and the next problem I encountered was :

Error - Office drawing objects are not yet supported.

Would a copy of my template be of help ?

Regards,
Mark.

Hi Mark,

We are working on the Office drawing objects indeed. But send me a copy of the template because in most situations you can achieve same effects without Office drawing objects by just using inline pictures, tables and borders. I will try to recommend you a layout that looks the same but not using those objects.

Roman,

I will e-mail you a copy of our template that we are trying to fill from a SQL Server database using the mail merge method.

By the way, can we pass RTF to a merge field and have that displayed ?

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

For this particular document it will be better to wait until we support drawing objects. There are texboxes and lines used in this document. We will try to do this over the next few days.

I assume when you want to pass RTF into a merge field you want to insert formatted text into the document. The answer is no, at the moment Aspose.Word does not understand RTF. But I think the idea of inserting formatted text into mail merge fields is a very good one, we will consider it when implementing RTF support.

A possible workaround to insert formatted text can work in cases where the text is not freely formatted, but rather has parts of it formatted predefined ways. You can insert several merge fields one for each part and format them the way you want in the document.

Full solution to this problem will be available later when we implement API to create document content programmatically, you will be able to specify text formatting for each piece directly without using mail merge fields. This feature will only be available in 2-3 months time.

Can you please explain what parts of the CV you ultimately want to create using Aspose.Word? As CV is a comletely differen document per person I would expect that all data will come from a database. Do you plan to build the whole document from the database?

Roman,

Thank you for your reply and updates.

Our intention is to be able to fill the standard template for each candidate from a database.

I would imagine we would be able to work around RTF by specifying all the different
area’s as merge fields and formatting them respectively.

Your future version would probably provide the solution we require.

Regards,

Mark.

Hi Mark,

Our plans for the nearest future is to support drawing objects. Drawing objects without text (line the vertical line you have in your document) will be supported in just a few days. Drawing objects with text such as textboxes will be supported a little later, by March 1st or very soon after that.

You should be able to build full content of the document using Aspose.Word 1.2 version (1st March) that supports multiple tables for mail merge and repeatable regions in the document without need for RTF text. Your database in this case should contain item by item information about the candidate. If you still need to insert formatted text, programmatic interface will come out later.

In either case we will make sure Aspose.Word will eventually be able to produce document like this.

Hi Roman,

Thanks again. We’ll look forward to your next release in March.

We were leaning towards peristing the candidate information in the database item by item, a repeatable region would help aleviate some of the programming effort.

We will definately be keeping an eye on Apose.Word …

Hi Mark,

Aspose.Word 1.2 which supports 99% of features you need is out. It supports drawing objects except text boxes which will be added shortly. It supports mail merge regions so you can create thigns like:

TableStart:Skills
blah blah
TableEnd:Skills

TableStart:Education
blah blah
TableEnd:Education

These mail merge regions inside your document will grow to accomodate all records in your DataTables.

For details please check out http://www.aspose.com/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=4783.