Headings are being stripped

Hello,

I am evaluating Aspose.PDF 17.8 but am using 11.4 in our product. The following is happening with both versions.

I have a PDF created from a Word document (via Save As PDF in Word 2010).
When I open this PDF in Adobe Reader I can use the JAWS screen reader to find and list several headings that may be found there. I close the PDF.

I now open it with Aspose.PDF and save it to a new file with the following VB.NET code.
Dim lsFile As String = “C:\Users\timf\Documents\TestAgendaNonICUsingHeadingStyles.pdf”
Dim lsNewFile As String = “C:\Users\timf\Documents\TestAgendaNonICUsingHeadingStylesThruAspose.pdf”
Dim loAsposePDF As New Aspose.Pdf.Document(lsFile)
loAsposePDF.Save(lsNewFile)
loAsposePDF.Dispose()

When I open this new PDF in Adobe Reader and use the JAWS screen reader to list the headings, none are found.

The PDFs we produce are hosted on local government websites which need to be WCAG compliant. This behaviour where the headings are removed is preventing compliance. We use Aspose.PDF to generated the outline we want in our PDFs.

Can you please provide any assistance on how I might preserve the headings when opening a PDF with Aspose.PDF? A sample PDF can readily be created by creating a new Word document with a few headings marked with the Heading 1, 2, 3 styles, then saving as PDF.

Many Thanks
Tim

@RobertWWatson,
We have saved a Word document into the PDF format which has heading styles 1,2 and 3 and tried JAWS to find out the text by pressing INSERT+CTRL+F to activate the JAWS find dialog box. We could not find text in that way. This is the output PDF: Input.pdf (227.0 KB). Kindly send us your source PDF document generated by the Microsoft Word application. We will investigate and share our findings with you.

Best Regards,
Imran Rafique

I have attached the source Word document (TestAgendaNonIC.zip), the saved as PDF document (TestAgendaNonIC.pdf) and the same PDF opened and saved to a different file by Aspose (TestAgendaNonICThruAspose.pdf).

I use the JAWS command Insert-F6 to list the headings. It works for the first PDF but not the one saved by Aspose. Alternatively I can use the H command to simply step through the headings which again works for the first but not the latter.

Thank you.

TestAgendaNonICThruAspose.pdf (237.5 KB)
TestAgendaNonIC.pdf (197.0 KB)
TestAgendaNonIC.zip (102.0 KB)

@RobertWWatson,
We managed to replicate the problem of not being able to find heading style text. It has been logged under the ticket ID PDFNET-43236 in our bug tracking system. We have linked your post to this ticket and will keep you informed regarding any available updates. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,
Imran Rafique

Thank you…

Hi Imran,

We understand the demands on a software team, however, are you able to indicate when this issue might be resolved and a build made available?

Thank you
Tim

@RobertWWatson,
The linked ticket ID PDFNET-43236 has just been identified and logged in the issue tracking system. It is difficult for us to share an estimate before the completion of the analysis phase. We will let you know once a significant progress has been made in this regard.

Best Regards,
Imran Rafique