How to reduce the size of Generated diagram

Hello Team,

I am creating the Visio diagram from scratch and size of generated diagram is 17.02 MB. When I open the generated diagram file in Visio 2013 and use the “Save As” option to save it again with new name the size of file reduced to 3.03 MB. Please let me know why its so. Is there is any way to reduce the file size programmatically.

Thanks,
Shweta

Hi Shweta,

Thank you for contacting support. There are various ways to reduce the Visio diagram as follows:

1. Reduce the number of grouped shapes.
  2. Remove unused master shapes.
  3. Split a multiple-page drawing into separate drawings.
  4. Remove unused themes, data graphics and styles

However, it’s depend on how you are generating a Visio diagram and then saving it in which format. Please share your source code and sample Visio diagram in this forum thread and also let us know, in which format you’re saving it using the Microsoft Visio Office 2013. We’ll take a closer look and reply you accordingly.

Hello Imran,

Please find the attached zip file which contains sample project for your reference. I am using the same way to create more pages of similar type with different types of shapes.

The zip file also contains the generated visio diagram named “SampleOfLabel.vdx” and diagram created using “Save As” option “SampleOfLabel-SaveAs.vsd” when generated Visio diagram is saved as Visio 2010-2013 drawing format.

Please suggest the way to reduce size.

Thanks,
Shweta

Hi Shweta,

Thank you for sharing a sample project. Please note, when we save a drawing as a .vdx file, the size of the file increases 1000 percent than the .vsd format. This increase is because .vdx files are strictly text files and .vsd files are binary files. Furthermore to reduce the file size of the diagram, we have logged an investigation under ticket id DIAGRAMNET-50383 in our issue tracking system. Your post has also been linked to this issue. We'll keep you informed regarding any available updates. We're sorry for the inconvenience caused.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as DIAGRAMNET-50383) have been fixed in Aspose.Diagram for .NET 19.9.