Free Support Forum - aspose.com

How to retrieve/read data from word template

Hi:

I know how to navigate to a table, row, and cell and write text into it but how can I do the opposite? I want to open the word document which is already populated and read say table(0) row (1) and cell (0) and assign the value of what is in that cell to a variable. Any code examples would be great! Thanks.

Hi<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for your inquiry. I think that you can try using ToTxt method. Please see the following code:

Dim value As String = doc.FirstSection.Body.Tables(0).Rows(1).Cells(0).ToTxt()

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

I tried that what you suggested, it works but the problem is the value contains some weird characters at the end. I am using a licensed Aspose.Words by the way. In the word template, the cell has "K222" filled in with no empty spaces or anything else but when I use the ToTxt() it returned me "K222".

Thanks for your inquiry. These characters are paragraph break and cell break. If you need just text then you can try using the following code:

Dim value As String = String.Empty

For Each run As Run In doc.FirstSection.Body.Tables(0).Rows(1).Cells(0).GetChildNodes(NodeType.Run, True)

value += run.Text

Next

Hope this helps.

Best regards.

Hi Alexey, thanks alot for your help! This works great - can I also ask you if it has to be in a for loop? How could I get the same result without having it as a for loop? Thanks again!

Thanks for your inquiry. You can also just remove special characters in the string. See the following code:

Dim value As String = doc.FirstSection.Body.Tables(0).Rows(1).Cells(0).ToTxt().Trim()

Hope this helps.

Best regards.