IIS worker process crashing when trying to access DLL

Hi, when we try to access the Aspose.Words for .NET component, the IIS worker process is crashing.
Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 7.5.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7afa2
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1677
Exception code: 0xc00000fd
Fault offset: 0x0000000000007cd2
Faulting process id: 0x2714
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf00de22c57b2c
Faulting application path: c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\w3wp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 88005834-6de7-11e3-8f65-005056be1aa9
Is this related to MS hot fix 2522807, or is this another problem?
Thanks for your assistance.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. Your issue does not seem to be related to Aspose.Words. Could you please create simple web application without using Aspose.Words and test it at IIS? If you still face this issue, the problem is somewhere on your side.

If this issue occur while using Aspose.Words, please share following detail for investigation purposes.

• OS (Windows Version)
  • Architecture (32 / 64 bit)
  • .NET Framework version
  • Please supply us with the code that is causing the issue

This error does not occur in any of our IIS code running on this server, even within this particular application pool. Extensive logging showed the failure occured on an Aspose call. Following is the answer to the questions you requested.

• OS (Windows Version) - Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise – Service Pack 1
  • Architecture (32 / 64 bit) - 64 Bit
  • .NET Framework version - .Net Framework 4.0
  • Please supply us with the code that is causing the issue - Aspose.Words.License license = new Aspose.Words.License();

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing the detail. We will prepare the required platform to simulate the environment as of yours. As soon as everything is setup, we will test the issue at our end and will post the results here for your kind reference.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your patience.

*Steve Recks:

Faulting application name: w3wp.exe, version: 7.5.7601.17514, time stamp: 0x4ce7afa2

Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1677
Report Id: 88005834-6de7-11e3-8f65-005056be1aa9*

I have tested the scenario at Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise (.Net Framework 4.0) and have not found the shared issue. In your case, I suggest you please restart the IIS and check this scenario. You may try to kill the process w3wp.exe manually. Hope this helps you.

when we try to access the Aspose.Words for .NET component, the IIS worker process is crashing.
Report Id: 88005834-6de7-11e3-8f65-005056be1aa9
Details Of things
· OS (Windows Version) - Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise – Service Pack 1
· Architecture (32 / 64 bit) - 64 Bit
· .NET Framework version - .Net Framework 4.0
· Please supply us with the code that is causing the issue - Aspose.Words. License license = new Aspose.Words. License();
· IIS – 7.5
NOTE: Please could you tell us what are the prerequisites required for Aspose words and whether we require to install Microsoft word on DEV server.

Hi,
I am from Steve Recks team and here are some more findings related to this.
When we try to create the dummy code which only creats some doc file and writes something to it and try to save on the server, then we are able to do that. But for the actual implementation, we try to access the dll from our code, IIS crashes.
I have disabled the loading of license file and now the application fails for below code. Do you see anything wrong in there?

MemoryStream memStream = new MemoryStream(template.ContentText);
Aspose.Words.Document asposeDocument = new Aspose.Words.Document(memStream); // The app fails on this line of code.
string[] mailMergeFields = asposeDocument.MailMerge.GetFieldNames();

Kindly guide us if there is anything needs to be on the server where the code has been deployed.
Thanks,
Shivaleela

Hi Shivaleela,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have tested again the same scenario and have not found the shared issue at following environment.

• Windows Server 2008 R2
  • .NET Framework 4.0
  • IIS 7.5

*Steve Recks:

Is this related to MS hot fix 2522807, or is this another problem?*

The exception detail shows that this issue is not related to Aspose.Words. Are you getting this issue after installing the fix 2522807?

Please restart the IIS and check this scenario. You may try to kill the process w3wp.exe manually and check this scenario. Please also try the same scenario at some different machine and share your findings with us for our reference.

Hi Tahir,
Thanks for your reply.
As I told you that when we include the dll in the console app, there is no issue with that but when we try to access it from the app on IIS, we got this error.
We have not installed that hotfix. Is that required? Do we need to install it?
Is there any permission or trust level that we need to configure?
Thanks,
Shivaleela

Hi Shivaleela,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please check the attached images for my testing and application pool setting.

*Shivaleela:

As I told you that when we include the dll in the console app, there is no issue with that but when we try to access it from the app on IIS, we got this error.*

Could you please share your Application pool settings? You can use Aspose.Words for .NET to build ASP.NET, Web Services, WinForms or any other type of application for any .NET Framework version from 2.0 to 4.5. Full support for 32-bit and 64-bit.

Please check following web links for your kind reference.
http://forums.asp.net/t/1845569.aspx?IIS+process+crashes+when+browing+ASP+NET+pages

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c7f07585-baa6-497d-9d1a-2b405c9541ef/faulting-application-name-w3wpexe-version-75760117514-time-stamp-0x4ce7afa2?forum=smallbusinessserver

http://forums.iis.net/t/1182629.aspx?Faulting+application+name+w3wp+exe+version+7+5+7601+17514+time+stamp+0x4ce7afa2+

*Shivaleela:

We have not installed that hotfix. Is that required? Do we need to install it?*

No, this is not required for Aspose.Words. We just want to know either this hotfix causes issue or not.

*Shivaleela:

Is there any permission or trust level that we need to configure?*

No, there are not additional permissions required for license files. Your application must have read permissions to the folder where the license if placed. To make sure you have read permissions, you can try reading the license file into a stream in your application. Since Web applications hosted in IIS are run under ASPNET user, you should make sure that these users have rights to read license file.

Tahir,
I have sent an email to you with the IIS pool settings and sample code to test at your end.
Kindly check if you are able to replicate this issue at your end and update us at the earliest.
Thanks,
Shivaleela

Hi Shivaleela,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I have tested the scenario and have not found the shared issue. Please check the attached images for detail. I suggest you please try the same scenario at some other machines with same IIS setting. Please also use the latest version of Aspose.Words for .NET 13.12.0.