Images saved as red X when saving .pdf as .docx

We’re using Aspose.PDF (20.9) to convert a scanned PDF to .docx - the PDF is therefore simply a vehicle for storing images, 1 image per page.

The one thing I noticed was that the scanned PDF contains pages rotated by 270 degrees

When we save the PDF as a .docx we find occasionally that pages are rendered as big red X es - sometimes when we repeat the attempt a second time it renders correctly.

The code couldn’t be simpler - VB.NET - I’ve left out everything irrelevant such as getting the licences and so on… This is literally all we do:

oPDF = New Aspose.Pdf.Document(sToFileName)
oPDF.Save(sToFileName + “.docx”, Aspose.Pdf.SaveFormat.DocX)

The biggest problem is that when this “goes wrong” and the document is rendered with red Xes instead of the correct images from the scanned PDF, no error is raised. So we have no way of knowing that it went wrong until afterwards when we look at the end product. This has already led to some very unhappy customers.

Let me know if you need any example PDFs

Additional information… This appears to happen when using Aspose.PDF from a 32-bit application, so it seems that this may be a memory issue perhaps? Not that I can say this with 100% confidence, but this doesn’t appear to happen when the same code is run from a 64-bit application. Sadly we are currently stuck with a 32-bit version of this product while moving to a 64-bit version is in the pipeline but this is not scheduled for immediate implementation.

@kidkeogh

x64 mode of application is recommended to prevent memory related issue in case of larger files. In case you need to process large PDF files, it is recommended to use 64-bit application because this way the application has access to full available memory in the system.

Nevertheless, would you kindly share a sample PDF document with which we can replicate the issue in our environment? We will test the scenario in our environment and address it accordingly.

thank you asad.ali

The problem is that the document contains personal information so we need to ensure this is done in full compliance with GDPR rules. Let me see if I can reproduce the same problem with a document that contains no such information.

@kidkeogh

We would like to share with you that files which you share are only used for testing purposes and they are removed from our system once the investigation is completed. Furthermore, you can share a file privately in case you cannot share it in public forum. Please click over username and press Blue Message Button to send a private message with attachment. This way, your file will only be accessible by Aspose Staff.

@asad.ali I clicked on your username but I don’t see a blue Message button?

image.png (24.6 KB)

Hello @asad.ali - I clicked on your name and I found that you’re a member of the “moderators” group. When I clicked on that link I saw a blue “Message” button alright. I clicked on that, removed “moderators” from the recipients and added your name instead, but when I tried to send the message that way I got a response “Sorry, you cannot send a personal message to that user.” - Can you change that?

@kidkeogh

I have sent you a private message which should appear in your inbox. You may please share your file in reply to that message.