Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Installing Apsose.Cells using dll files only

Is it possible to install the Aspose.Cells application on Windows XP Pro without using the MSI installer and just copying the dll files into the relevant windows folder?

I ask as we cannot install software on our PC's due to security etc and any software that will be installed needs authorisation which is quite an unlikely event.

Is there a way to utilise Aspose.Cells without physically installing the software or editing windows registry files etc?

Hi,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

Yes, quite possible, I have attached Aspose.Cells.DLL (latest hotfix version 4.4.3.5) for you, kindly try it. Aspose.Cells is a pure .NET Component, you just need to unzip the attached file, copy it to your specified folder, In your VS.NET project Add Reference to browse to the .DLL file and use it in your project.

Feel Free to contact us any time if you need further help or anything else.

Thank you.

Hi,

This is what we are wanting to do.

1. Export SAS Dataset data into a CSV file (we do this already)
  2. Copy the data from the CSV file directly into an Excel worksheet that has our pre-defined template (mainly pivot tables feeding off raw data worksheets and refreshing the pivot table automatically on open, thus the raw data worksheet is where we need the CSV data to be placed) - This is where we want to use Aspose.Cells so that we can run multiple excel outputs simultaneously - currently we use SAS and we can only output to one Excel file at a time which is very inefficient.
  3. The CSV data to the Excel file needs to be done automatically using SAS. Within SAS we can execute VB scripts, DOS scripts for example but not sure if Aspose.Cells can tie into all this somehow.
  4. We dont have VS.Net installed and again its not on our authorised software list and thus it is very unlikely to be authorised.
  5. Can we still utilise Aspose.Cells considering the above? If so how?

I have heard that it is possible to use OLEDB driver to connect to Aspose.Cells by installing a free add-in for SAS (hence Aspose.Cells can read the SAS Datasets), however again due to installation restrictions this solution is very likely to be ruled out.

Any additional suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for providing us the further deatails.

We will get back to you soon.

Thank you.

What's SAS? Can you give us more information about it?

2. Copy the data from the CSV file directly into an Excel worksheet that has our pre-defined template (mainly pivot tables feeding off raw data worksheets and refreshing the pivot table automatically on open, thus the raw data worksheet is where we need the CSV data to be placed) - This is where we want to use Aspose.Cells so that we can run multiple excel outputs simultaneously - currently we use SAS and we can only output to one Excel file at a time which is very inefficient.

I think you can create a multi-thread application. In the main thread, you can create a Workbook object and it contains the pre-defined template.

In each worker thread, you can create 2 Workbook objects.

Workbook wb1 = new Workbook();

wb1.Open(csvFile); // load data from CSV file

Workbook wb2 = new Workbook();

wb2.Copy(sourceWorkbook); //copy data from the main thread's Workbook object which contains the pre-define template

//Copy data from wb1 to wb2

for(int i = 0; i < wb1.Worksheets[0].Cells.Count; i ++)

{

Cell source = wb1.Worksheets[0].Cells[i];

Cell dest = wb2.Worksheets[0].Cells[cell.Row, cell.Column];

dest.PutValue(source.Value);

}

3. The CSV data to the Excel file needs to be done automatically using SAS. Within SAS we can execute VB scripts, DOS scripts for example but not sure if Aspose.Cells can tie into all this somehow.

You can use VB scripts to invoke Aspose.Cells. Please check http://www.aspose.com/documentation/file-format-components/aspose.cells-for-.net-and-java/accessing-component-from-com-clients.html . Though you can access Aspose.Cells from VB scripts, we suggest you to develop a .Net program to wrap all complex calls. You VB scripts is better to use only one method call. Otherwise, programming will be tedious and hard to debug because Aspose.Cells is a pure .Net component.

4.We dont have VS.Net installed and again its not on our authorised software list and thus it is very unlikely to be authorised.

Aspose.Cells is a .Net component. So .Net Framework is a must. You can totally call it in VB scripts as I suggested above. But it will be a hard work. Maybe you can try to use some other .Net IDE, such as http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/ . And you can search on Internet for other tools.