Issue with 'comments' when convert XLSB to XLSM

Hi,

After conversion XLSB to XLSM we tried to open new file with MS Office Excel and got notification that Excel found unreachable content (please see attached image):

After clicking Yes-button we saw removed parts, which contain formatting information:

• Removed Part: /xl/drawings/vmlDrawing1.vml part. (Drawing shape)
  • Removed Part: /xl/drawings/vmlDrawing2.vml part. (Drawing shape)

MS Excel tries to recover XLSM file (remove those parts), because XLSM does not contains *.rel files, which were deleted during conversion:

• xl\drawings_rels\vmlDrawing1.vml.rels
  • xl\drawings_rels\vmlDrawing2.vml.rels

And we also noticed that comments disappeared, but corresponding parts present in XLSM file:

• /xl/comments1.xml
  • /xl/comments2.xml

These 2 issues are connected, because if you create new XLSB and add regular comment, then conversion is done without problems (comments are retained and shown). But if sheet contains at least one comment with background image (do not know about other conditions that may cause the same issue), then “vmlDrawing.vml” and corresponding “_rels\vmlDrawing2.vml.rels”parts are created for this sheet. *.REL will be removed during conversion. As a result MS Excel will notify about unreadable parts, removes them both regular and formatted comments will not be shown on this sheet.

I also noticed that after conversion of XLSB file with regular comments, when you open output XLSM file, then comments are not shown – appears when you move mouse over corresponding cell, but not sure whether it is Aspose.Cells issue or MS Office behavior.

Thank you,

Alex Shloma

Issue also replicated on XLSX.
XLS format works fine.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your detailed analysis of the presented problem. We are able to replicate the issue while using the latest version of Aspose.Cells for .NET 8.0.1.1, and by loading the resultant XLSM file in Excel 2010. We have logged the problem in our bug tracking system under ticket Id CELLSNET-42582 for further investigation and correction purposes. Please spare us little time to properly analyze the problem cause, and to provide a fix at earliest. In the meanwhile, we will keep you posted with updates in this regard.

We are sorry for your inconvenience.
LiteraCorp:
Issue also replicated on XLSX.
XLS format works fine.

Hi again,

Sorry I missed your comments before replying to your first post. You are right as we are able to see the same issue when provided XLSB is converted to XLSX format. We have amended the previously logged ticket, and added this information so we could test this scenario as well before announcing a fix.

Thanks again for bringing this issue to our knowledge.

Hi,

Please download and try our latest fix/version: Aspose.Cells for .NET v8.0.1.3

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

I tested new Aspose.Cells regarding conversion Excel files to XLSM format: “xl\drawings_rels\vmlDrawing*.vml.rels” parts are not removed now.

But I noticed that other part was removed: “\xl\calcChain.xml” (see attached document), as well as corresponding entry in "[Content_Types].xml:

I do not know whether it is critical, because I’m not OpenXML-format expert. So please take a look at this issue and let us know your findings.

Hi,

Well, I re-saved your attached XLSX to XLSM and opened it into MS Excel 2007/2010, I do not get any error message while opening the file into MS Excel.
e.g
Sample code:

string filePath = @“e:\test2\xlsx.xlsx”;
Workbook workbook = new Workbook(filePath);

workbook.Save(filePath + “.out1.xlsm”, SaveFormat.Xlsm);

Could you give more details and provide some screen shots to reproduce the issue on our end, we will check it soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for a quick response.

I did not say about error opening file in MS Office app. I noticed that certain part ("\xl\calcChain.xml") was removed by Aspose.Cells during conversion and I do not know whether it is critical, because DO not know what it is used for.

So I asked you to discuss it with developers and share your findings.

I googled and found out that calculation chain information is not required and can be constructed in memory at load-time based on the formulas and their interdependence. So now I know why Aspose.Cells removes this part of package.

Thanks,
Alex Shloma

Hi Alex Shloma,

Thanks for providing us further details and findings.

Good to know that you have sorted it out now. Since it does not matter if Aspose.Cells excludes the calculation chain part or details, anyways, I will also check with the relevant developer and may get back to you to share some further details (if possible).

Thank you.

Hi,

We evaluated your issue further. Well "calcChain.xml" was created by MS Excel when calculating formulas. As the specification of OOXML described: "The calculation chain order may change over time. ... the spreadsheet application is free to ignore the order in which the calculation chain specifies calculations". So the existence or absence of this xml will have no influence or effect what so ever for users to use the Excel file.

Thank you.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-42582) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool from Downloads module by MuzammilKhan