I was asking a private question in technical support in Japanese, but I will post it again because it will not be fixed even one year after the bug report.
I’m having a problem because I can’t release the created program because Japanese fonts can’t be processed correctly.
Please let us know when the following bugs will be fixed.
An investigation ticket as PDFNET-50087 has been recorded in the issue tracker to further analyze this behavior of the API with respect to the “Font not found” exception.
In addition, when I tested the code snippet using the API 21.6v, I found that the output PDF did not render the double byte characters correctly.
Therefore, I recorded this issue in the issue tracker as PDFNET-50088.
We will investigate the details of both tickets and notify you as soon as they are resolved. Please wait.
We apologize for any inconvenience.