Jar Size

Does the aspose-pdf-10.9.0.jar really have to be 33 MB? It nearly doubled the size of my deployment EAR. What the heck is in there? In contrast, aspose-cells-8.6.2.jar is only 6 mb.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for contacting support.

Each API has its separate code base and size of JAR depends upon the implementation and resources embedded inside package. Also please note that Aspose.Pdf.jar contains three main package i.e.

1. aspose.pdf (legacy Aspose.Pdf for Java)
  2. com.aspose.pdf (new Document Object Model for PDF file creation and manipulation).
  3. com.aspose.pdf.kit (legacy Aspose.Pdf.Kit for Java)

We do have a plan to remove aspose.pdf and com.aspose.pdf.kit packages but currently we have not defined any timelines because many of our customers are still using these package and unless all of them are moved to new DOM approach, we cannot remove these package from JAR. Nevertheless, once these packages are removed, the size of JAR will significantly reduced and meanwhile I have also shared your concerns with product team to see if we can optimize the size in current circumstances.

We are sorry for your inconvenience.

Hi, is there any way to remove legacy parts from jar manually? Or maybe you can build separate jar file without legacy code. We was going to migrate to Aspose.PDF from other library, which is less then 3Mb in size, and now worrying about twice grow of the size of our distribution. Thanks

OneVizion_VENDOR:
Hi, is there any way to remove legacy parts from jar manually? Or maybe you can build separate jar file without legacy code. We was going to migrate to Aspose.PDF from other library, which is less then 3Mb in size, and now worrying about twice grow of the size of our distribution. Thanks
Hi John,

Thanks for contacting support.

I am in coordination with development team to see if we can reduce the size of JAR file. As soon as we have some further updates, we will let you know.

Hi, any news on this? Our release date is close, we need to know if we can do something with this, or prepare to deploy twice larger jars.

Thanks

Hi John,

Thanks for your patience.

I am in coordination with product team to see if we can prepare a separate JAR file exclusive for new DOM approach or it cannot be accomplished at the moment. The team is analyzing the scenario over their end and as soon as we have some definite updates, we will let you know.

PS, in case your deployment/release date is approaching soon and instead of delaying your release, for the time being, you may consider using current package with all three namespaces and if we are able to create a separate/smaller version of JAR, you may release your product with updated/new JAR.

Hi there,
Any progress on this?
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Rui Rodrigues

1 Like

@rmrodrigues,
We have removed all legacy packages and the size of Aspose.Pdf Jar is not downgraded significantly, because we have added a lot new features and enhancements. However, we optimize the size of the Jar and it is a continuous activity. Please download and try the latest version 17.9 of Aspose.Pdf for Java API.

44MB is ridiculous for this jar - it was 33mb last year when we started this thread about how big it was. I have a 40k line application that’s not this big. This one “utility” jar doubles the size of my deployment. Your excel plugin is only 16mb - how can the pdf plugin be twice that size? Something’s fishy here. Your excel plugin was 6mb last year, now it’s 16??? You guys need to go on a code diet. I’m going to start looking for something much lighter weight.

@KenOtwell,
Kindly list down all details of the usage of Aspose.Pdf for .NET API in your applications. We will discuss this matter with our product team, and then let you know about the outcomes.