Large memory usage for mostly empty generated excel file

i'm opening a file i generated using Aspose.Cells 7.3.2.0. the file is a rather large .xlsm (28MB), but when i open it i get to see the memory usage increase by well over 800MB, and have even caught it using up 1GB. this file is mostly empty, but this seemed like quite exceptional usage that i thought perhaps you would want to look at it to see if there are any optimizations that can be done on your end.

i'm attaching the file if you'd like to give it a try.

(fwiw, the reason i ran into this is because i cannot open the file using a 32bit application due to a System.OutOfMemoryException. switching to a 64bit application allows the file to actually be opened, but not without taking a huge hit on memory.)

Hi,

We are sorry for your inconvenience.

I could not find your file. Could you attach your sample XLSM file (you may zip it if you want), we will check your issue soon.

Thank you.

i attached the file. sorry. was having trouble getting it uploaded.

Hi,

Thanks for attaching the template XLSM file.

After an initial test, I can notice the issue by just opening the file using Aspose.Cells APIs.
The memory is continuously increasing and CPU usage is quite high.

Sample code:
var wb = new Workbook(@"e:\\test2\\Aspose OutOfMemory.xlsm");

Moreover, one thing I did notice here, when I open the file in MS Excel 2007, it takes a long time to open the file too, the memory was also increasing and CPU usage is high.

Anyways, I have logged a ticket with an id: CELLSNET-41097 for it. We will look into your issue soon.

Thank you.

Hi,

To update you on your issue, well, since the release of Aspose.Cells for .NET v 8.0.0 we provided new options e.g MemorySetting.MemoryPreference for memory performance consideration. We recommend you to kindly try our latest version/fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET 8.0.2 with the new option to check if it works fine regarding Excel file reading or conversions/ rendering. Please see the topic for your complete reference on how to optimize memory usage while loading/ rendering bigger data sets in the workbook etc.:

You may use MemorySetting.MemoryPreference option when opening large template files. We tested without this option set the maximum memory is about 400M. With this option set the maximum memory is about 200M, so hopefully it will suit your needs.

Thank you.