Limitation when convert excel to image

Hi,

I’ve recently found out this issue when trying to convert an excel sheet to image.

It worked OK with windows machine but doesnt work with Linux (Ubuntu 18)

THis is the message

Screen Shot 2018-11-20 at 11.18.33 PM.png (50.2 KB)

Let me know if you need code sample or anything.

Hey, I found this
https://github.com/mono/linux-packaging-libgdiplus/blob/master/src/region-bitmap.h

Don’t know whether we are using similar library but my concern is how to increase the REGION_MAX_BITMAP_SIZE

@KevinNg,

Thanks for your query.

Please share your sample Excel file and code snippet (runnable console application) with us for our testing. We will reproduce the problem and provide our feedback after analysis.

hi,

This is the sample code with file
FailedBigImage.zip (8.0 MB)

I used Ubuntu 18 for OS (Normally i don’t see any problem when running this on windows machine)
The machine hardware is
2CPU/4GB Ram (2.5GB free)

@KevinNg,

Could you please mention which line of code raises exception? We are getting error on the following line in one of our environment. We will log this issue once you provide us the feedback.

SheetRender sr = new SheetRender(worksheet, options);

Hi @ahsaniqbalsidiqui
We faced error when saving the image to memory stream.
Screenshot from 2018-11-22 00-12-58.png (98.9 KB)

@Kevinng85,

We were able to observe the issue but we need to look into it more. We have logged the issue in our database for investigation and for a fix. Once, we will have some news for you, we will update you in this topic.

This issue has been logged as

CELLSNETCORE-13 - Exception raised while converting Excel file to image

@Kevinng85,

We have located the problem, and it will be resolved in next fix version. We will share the fix with you once it is ready.

Great job,

Could you provide an ETA?
We started purchasing the product and will release it in the middle of December. Should this fix meet our release date?

@Kevinng85,

We are logging your comments about this urgency with the ticket and will discuss it soon. We will write back here when feedback is ready to share.

@Kevinng85,

Please try our latest version/fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v18.11.3:

Aspose.Cells18.11.3 For .NetStandard20.Zip (3.8 MB)

Your issue should be fixed in it.

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks for you quick feedback

We have tried the new library and it worked.
However we have to manually add some dependencies : System.Drawing.Common.dll and System.Encoding.Text.CodePages. (Not a big deal, I understand it’s not official yet)

Sorry to bring up another problem with performance. It is slightly faster (30%) to generate an image from Windows machine comparing to the same Linux configuration. Could you take a look?

Here is my sample code
FailedBigImage.zip (8.0 MB)

@Kevinng85,

Good to know that your issue is sorted out by latest fix. Could you please share details of your environments e.g version of Windows and Linux and the time utilized while processing the images in both environments. We will reproduce the problem and provide our feedback after analysis.

hi @ahsaniqbalsidiqui

We use 2 aws ec2 (t2.medium) machine with 2CPU and 4GB Ram each for both Windows and Linux.

While using the above code sample to generate images. The average time is

For Windows: 1030-1050ms
For Linux: 1520-1569ms

-> Linux is 30% slower than Windows.
Please let us know if this is known issue and any way to improve it (Or we can go with Windows option)

@Kevinng85,

We are working on this issue and trying to re-produce it. Please spare us little time to share our feedback.

@Kevinng85,

I have tested it on Linux where it costs 7.4 seconds and on Windows it costs 6 seconds. So the performance is 20%-30% slower than on Windows which we think is acceptable, because the system is different, the basic library is different too.

We will check and improve the performance on Linux in the future, but it can take some time to enhance performance.

I understand the problem by using Linux.

Hope you guys would have an update soon for this. (People are moving to Linux)

Really appreciate your great support

@Kevinng85,

Thank you for your feedback. We will consider your concerns and further performance enhancements will be incorporated in future.