Load RTF- save it as DOC changes font

Hello,

I just open the attached file and save it as MS-Word doc.

After this operation the font of the “Lorem ipsum” is changed from Arial to Times New Roman.

I load the document with this call:

AsposeDokument Dok = new Document("druckvorlage.rtf");

and save it with this:

dok.Save("test.doc", SaveFormat.Doc);

What is wrong ?

Best reqards
Martin Hocke

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. I managed to reproduce this problem and created new issue #6127 in our defect database. I will notify you as soon as it is fixed.

As a workaround you can just open/save your document using MS Word. After such roundtrip the document works fine with Aspose.Words. I concluded that you are using some third-party tool for generating RTF documents.

Best regards.

Hi,

yes, we did use TxTextcontrol but this is not the core problem.

I’ve got MS Word 2003 and even if I generate a Word document from the scratch the problem occurs.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Word -> new document
  2. Standard template -> change font to Arial
  3. type a sentence with Standard template
  4. save document as rtf.
  5. load document with aspose.words and save it as doc

After this operation the Standard template is unchanged but the text is reformated with Times New Roman.

The problem is, that after reading the document from rtf all runs in the doc have the font Times New Roman.

Please fix this - our costumers must be abel to read rtf-docs.

Best regards
Martin Hocke

Hi

Thank you for more information. We will investigate the problem and provide you more information.

Best regards.

Hi,

I just want to known: When do we get a solution for this ?

Time is running up - we want to ship our software release (first time with aspose) these days but with this bug …

Thank you.

Best regards

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately this issue is still unresolved. Please expect a reply before next hotfix (within 3-4 weeks).

Best regards.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 6127) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

This issue still exists - as described above. The bug isn’t fixed.

Hi,

Thanks for your request. I reopened this issue. It will be fixed in the next hotfix. Sorry for inconvenience.

Best regards.

The issue also exists when converting a docx to doc. The font of the standard text is set to Calibri (default setting after installing Office 2007). After saving the document as .doc, Word 2007 displays the text using Times New Roman. Text that has the Calibri-font explicitly applied (no longer marked as ‘standard’ by Word) does work, so the problem is not the Calibri-font itself. Also, when saving as PDF (both 1.5 and pdf/a), everything works fine.

Perhaps Word doesn’t store this font/style information as it should be part of the normal.dot? (just a wild guess). If so, is there a setting to force the explicit use of the style/font?

I attached the original docx and the converted doc+pdf to this email.
(the docx has been generated by my own tool (http://flexdoc.codeplex.com) and contains altchunks, but don’t bother, I know (and understand) they’re not supported and are not part of the problem)

Please have this fixed asap, since this is quite a big problem to us!

Hi

Thanks for your request. Font is changed from Calibri to Times New roman because Aspose.Words does not support Word 2007 Themes. I linked your request to the appropriate issue. I will notify you as soon as it is fixed.

Best regards.

Ok, clear. But how come the PDF looks great?

Hi

Thanks for your inquiry. Aspose.Words 6.5.0 partially supports themes. They are preserved during DOCX->DOCX roundtrip and during rendering.

Best regards.

Why didn’t you fix this issue?

When opening a document, it seems to me, that aspose words applies a standard font template explicitly to all runs. So a run with no explicit font format did not get his format information from its original parent but from a standard template that aspose generate on the fly - this is an severe issue and I persist that you must fix it.

Hi

You will be notified as soon as the issue is resolved.

If font of the particular run is set via Word 2007 Theme, then Aspose.Words applies standard font (because themes are not fully supported yet). But is font is applied explicitly or using styles, font will be preserved.

Best regards.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 5313) have been fixed in this update.