Long dashes in Word coming out as boxes when converted to TIFF

Hello!

I have an application that converts Word documents to TIFFs using Aspose. The users have reported an issue where long dashes come out as squares. The font is just Times New Roman; nothing special there.

My conversion code simply creates a document object and then saves out the individual pages as TIFFs. Do I need to add some font settings to the conversion process?

The server that does the conversion is Window 2008 Server and it has Times New Roman and the Symbol fonts installed.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Doug

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please attach your input Word document and output TIFF file showing the undesired behavior here for testing? We will investigate the issue on our end and provide you more information.

Best regards,

Sure! It’s the weekend now, so I’ll have to post one on Monday, though. However, I did find out that the Word documents in question are not be converted by my software on a Windows server. The Java team wrote their own converter using the Java version of Aspose. The software is hosted on a Linux machine. So, it is quite possible that the Linux server is missing a font.

I’ll send you a sample Monday! Any tips for what fonts to install on Linux to support Word documents created on Windows machines?

Thanks!

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your inquiry. We will wait for your input and we will be glad to look into this further for you.

Secondly, please refer to the following articles:
http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsjava/How+Aspose.Words+Uses+True+Type+Fonts
Aspose.Words for Java|Documentation

I hope, this helps.

Best regards,