Long Initial Load Time

Hi,

After searching through the forums, this is the only thing close to the problem we are experiencing.

Version 7.3.1.0 of .NET aspose.cells
Web Server 2008 SP2 32bit
iis7.0

On initial load the application can take up to 5 minutes when we replicate the following scenario.

Server connected to limited network (router with dhcp enabled but no internet access).

If we enable internet on this network or disconnect the server from the network completely, the application will load in approx 5 seconds. If we remove the aspose dll's from our bin folder the application will also load in this short time.

Using netmon we can see without the aspose dlls enabled the w3wp process will only contact akamaiitechnologies but once we copy the aspose dlls back into the bin folder netmon will show a lot of communication with ocsp.verisign.net(caused by aspose dlls?) so we can only assume that with limited network this connection is attempted but not successful which is causing the delays.

Not sure if i should have created this in the aspose.cells forum or join this old unresolved issue.

- Brett

Hi Brett,

Thanks for your inquiry.

It could be that the problem occurs because you are using digitally signed assemblies of Aspose.Cells. Please note that digitally signed assemblies come with an Authenticode and Signed assemblies may load slower than those without Authenticode.

Also, during the first time you run a digitally signed assembly, the .NET Common Language Runtime tries to determine whether the signature is valid or not. It does so by contacting thawte or verisign servers. In case you don’t have an Internet access (limited network access) on the machine you’re getting this problem on, the time out or delay can occur because thawte or verisign servers cannot be reached (this only happens for the first time after which the assembly is allowed to continue without any warning). Please visit the following link to learn more about it:
http://consultingblogs.emc.com/anthonysteele/archive/2007/02/07/Delay-when-starting-up-a-web-service.aspx

Secondly, I will move your request in Aspose.Cells forum. My colleagues from Aspose.Cells component team will answer you more appropriately.

Best regards,

Hi Awais,

Thanks for getting back to me, would there be a possibility of getting the files which are not digitally signed?

- Brett

Hi,

I am a representative of Aspose.Cells team. I think Awais is rightly saying the signed assemblies may load slower than the assemblies without Authenticode.

Well, we need to check if we can provide the Dlls without signed, if we can, we will provide you the assemblies for your test if it makes any difference.

I have logged a ticket with an id "CELLSNET-41473" for your issue. We will look into it soon. Once we have any update on it, we will let you know here.

Thank you.

Hi Amjad,

We have confirmed that this is the cause, and by updating the aspnet.config with

we can drop the load time to around 5 seconds. As the runtime key changes are disabled in the applicationhost.config by default we can either enable this in application host, then put the the web.config for application, or we can update the aspnet config under the 2.0 framework. Either solution requires changes to our base image which we would prefer to avoid.

If the unsigned Dll's could be provided so we can deploy the application to correct the speed, this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Brett

Hi,

Is there any ETA on a reply for this? We are holding the deployment of our software, due to the signed dll's

Thanks

-Brett

Hi,

Thanks for your posting and using Aspose.Cells.

Please spare us sometime to fix this issue. Once we will have some update for you, we will let you know asap.

Hi,

Please try the attached latest Aspose.Cells fix/version without Authenticode (signed).

Thank you.