We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Longer processing time to convert 20 documents

Hi,

I’m doing conversion performance testing using aspose word for .NET, library version 17.9.

Summary of test results for processing 20 documents

  1. Convert doc to pdf: 4 batch of 5 documents(start 2nd batch only after 1st batch is done) Took ~ 1 minute
  2. Convert doc to pdf: 1 batch of 20 documents(parallel conversion) Took ~ 2+ minutes
  3. Convert doc to docx: 1 batch of 20 documents(parallel conversion) Took ~ 5 seconds

Execution with time information for each test respectively

  1. execute_batch_by_batch.PNG (35.7 KB)
  2. execute_20_files_at_one_shot.PNG (9.6 KB)
  3. convert_doc_to_docx.PNG (10.0 KB)

The sample .doc file(with images) that I’m using in this test is ard 4+MB each.

Based on the results, processing 20 documents (parallel conversion) took twice as much time than processing batch by batch. When I’m processing 20 documents (parallel conversion), I noticed that initially the processing has a few numbers of high CPU usage after which it then dropped to 0.

starting.PNG (256.6 KB)
after.PNG (256.1 KB)

Could your team check what cause the doubly in performance time? Whether is it due to executing too many parallel conversion which then cause some sort of ‘blocking’ between conversions or some other factor affecting the performance?

Thanks

@zhilin39,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please note that performance and memory usage all depend on complexity and size of the documents you are generating. When a document is loaded into Aspose.Words DOM, it takes some time to load all resources first time. Upon the first time, Aspose.Words initializes common static resources, for example fonts installed on the PC.

To ensure a timely and accurate response, please attach the following resources here for testing:

  • Your input Word documents.
  • Please create a standalone console application (source code without compilation errors) that helps us to reproduce your problem on our end and attach it here for testing.

As soon as you get these pieces of information ready, we’ll start investigation into your issue and provide you more information. Thanks for your cooperation.

PS: To attach these resources, please zip and upload them.

Hi, @tahir.manzoor

I have attached the resources that you need, including the .bat file that I used for testing. I re-create a new console application that will still replicate the issue of doubly in performance time. The 20 word documents are just duplicates of the document inside the zip file.

sample_testing.zip (2.7 MB)

Thanks.

@zhilin39,

Thanks for sharing the detail. Please share the standalone console application (source code without compilation errors) that helps us to reproduce your problem on our end. Thanks for your cooperation.

Hi, @tahir.manzoor

Sorry for the misinterpretation.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T0T5N4J9gEPg1rnfuTM1RMbRE8RsS6HU

Thanks

@zhilin39,

Thanks for sharing the code. We have tested the scenario using latest version of Aspose.Words for .NET 18.1 and have not found the shared issue. Please use Aspose.Words for .NET 18.1. We have used “31_doc.doc” document for testing.

Hi, @tahir.manzoor

Can I just check with you that the scenarios that you have tested are:

  1. Process 20 documents instance in one .bat file/at one shot
  2. Process 5 documents instance in one .bat file, run one .bat file right after the previous .bat file finish processing.
    Total run: 4 .bat file, 20 documents

After which, compare the total process time for both scenarios (for 2nd scenario, add up all 4 .bat file’s process time).

I’m still having the issue even though I have updated my application’s library to version 18.1.

thanks

@zhilin39,

Thanks for your inquiry. As shared earlier, the performance and memory usage all depend on complexity and size of the documents you are generating. While rendering a document to fixed page formats (e.g. PDF).

The process of building layout model is not linear; it may take a minute to render one page and may take a few seconds to render 100 pages. We are always working on improving performance; but, rendering will be always running slower than simple saving to flow formats (e.g. doc/docx).

We have logged this issue as WORDSNET-16426 in our issue tracking system. We will inform you via this forum thread once there is any update available on this issue. We apologize for your inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-16426) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 18.3 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 18.3 update.