We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Mail merge does not work for date switches using Java

Hi there

I met a problem with formatting mail merged Date field. In Java, I have formatted the java.Util.Date field as String:

private String formatDate(Date date){
DateFormat df = new SimpleDateFormat(“dd MMMM yyyy”);
return df.format(date);
}

Suppose the fieldName is My Field, in Word template I have inserted the following merge field:

{MERGEFIELD “My Field” @ “d MMMM yyyy”}

The problem is no matter which format I set with @ switch in the template, it doesn’t take any effect, I always got the format I set in the Java code i.e. "dd MMMM yyyy"

Could you please tell me why?

Thank you very much!!!

Hi

After read the following post

http://www.aspose.com/community/forums/311304/cannot-format-date-in-mergefield/showthread.aspx

I upgraded my Aspose.Words for Java to 10.5.0. I still can’t make @ switch work if the value of the Date field has been pre-converted to String.

I tried not to pre-convert the Date field, just pass a java.util.Date object as the field value, then the @ formatting works. However the value of Date object I returned is 2012-01-01 however it was generated as 31 December 2011. Do you know if there are any settings for timezone or something ?

Thanks a lot

Hi Gregory,

Thanks for your query. Please use the latest version of Aspose.Words for Java 11.1.0. I have used the following code snippet and have not found any issue. Please let us know, If you have any more queries.

Document doc = new Document("D:\\in.docx");

String[] names = { "datum" };

Object[] obj = { formatDate(new java.util.Date()) };

doc.getMailMerge().execute(names, obj);

doc.save("D:\\out.doc");