Making Generated PPT Easy to Edit

Evaluating SSRS 2008 Slide plugin to allow ad-hoc PPT reporting for client. Created RDL in VS 2008. A number of the data sections are tablix elements with repeated data or lists. The rows have two columns, a bullet or image column and then the data itself (just a simple desription or sentence).

On export to PPT or PPTX, each of the fields (bullets, descriptions, etc) is a separate element. This makes it very difficult to edit the report if needed as the text will run into the next line. If one needs to add a new row mid-section, this is extremely difficult as each section below must be moved down.

Is there a way to make the PPT easier to edit? I have tried a rectangle and tabe controls but these don’t seem to do anything.

Thx in advance!

One follow-up. Would using Aspose Java Slides API make this any easier? Could we add a rectangle to the slide and then set the text being an unordered list? Would we have to programatically need to handle paging if we did this, such as when to create a new slide?

Thx.

Hi Stephen,

I have tried to understand the requirements shared by you. It seems that you are exporting tables in reports to PPT/PPTX and they are rendering as individual cells. If this is case then I like to share that it is not an issue. Please visit this thread link for your further knowledge. I hope you have been highlighting this issue that I have perceived.

Secondly, I could not understand the second query related to usage of Aspose.Slides for Java. Kindly share more details about the issue.

Many Thanks,

Thanks for the response. The thread you referenced is the same issue and now I understand it is expected behavior that when exporting a table/tablix from SSRS 2008 to PPT/PPTX, the cells are each their own shape to maintain formatting.

I did see that the .NET API supports grouping of shapes but what I don’t understand if it also supports creating/adding group shapes. I am referring to the last post of this thread.

Thx!

Hi Stephen,

I regret to share that presently Aspose.Slides for .NET only support managing group shapes. Adding new group shape is currently not supported in Aspose.Slides for .NET. What you can do is that add the group shape in template slide with dummy shapes. Then access all the shapes in the exported presentation and add in group shape. Then remove the dummy shapes that will be present on starting indices of group shape shapes collection. Hope it will help you.

Many Thanks,