Missing font problem in Aspose.slides 3.0

After upgrading from 2.9.2 to 3.0.0 I have problems with copying slides from a template to a new presentation. The error message is

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalStateException: Cannot find resource '/Aspose/Resources/GenBasR.ttf'.
        at com.aspose.slides.a.B.if(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.a.h.r.do(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.a.l.h.char(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.a.l.h.byte(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.a.l.h.do(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.a.l.j.do(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.lU.(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Gl.do(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Gl.for(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Gl.try(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Gl.(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.TextFrame.default(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Shape.byte(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Rectangle.byte(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Shape.do(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Presentation.if(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Slide.do(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Presentation.do(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Presentation.cloneSlide(Unknown Source)
        at com.aspose.slides.Presentation.cloneSlide(Unknown Source)

Apparently the error is caused by a missing truetype font (Arial in this case) on the machine where Aspose.slides was being used. On another machine which has Arial installed everything works fine.

Aspose 2.9.2 works on both machines, it does not seem to need the font for copying slides. So my question is: is this a known change from 2.9 to 3.0, or is it considered a bug which should be resolved?

The problem can be reproduced with the demo code from this thread.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for inquiring Aspose.Slides.

I like to share that Aspose.Slides for Java 3.0.0 is different from its predecessor versions. It is in fact the first version that has been developed by auto porting from Aspose.Slides for .NET. So, if any thing working in Aspose.Slides for Java 2.9.x and not working in Aspose.Slides for Java 3.0.0 is not considered as regression issue. In order to resolve the issue shared by you I would request you to please share the source presentation along with sample code used. Please also share the environment where you are testing Aspose.Slides for Java 3.0.0 to obtain issue. Theoretically, Aspose.Slides looks for any font and if that is not available then Arial is used as default font. The exception is thrown on unavailability of default font.

Many Thanks,

The attached file contains code and ppt template to reproduce the error.

The problem was initially observed in a Websphere 6.1 application server. It can be reproduced on the command line by running the attached code in the Websphere JVM.
The JVM version is:

java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build pxi32dev-20120810 (SR14 ))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Linux x86-32 j9vmxi3223-20120805 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20120718_116650_lHdSMr
JIT  - 20120620_24345a_r8
GC   - 20120605_AA)
JCL  - 20120810

The machine is a standard Linux server. The Arial font is not installed in the system, and we cannot assume that it will be installed in our customers' production environment.

Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing the information. I like to share that Aspose.Slides for Java 6.7.1 is currently latest release to date. I would request you to please try using the specified version on your end and if the issue is still there I will log an issue for resolution in our issue tracking system.

Many Thanks,

The problem exists with Aspose.Slides 6.7.1
I was aready using that version when I reported the problem.

Hi Robert,

I have created an issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-33650 in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-33650) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

Hello Mudassir,

I can confirm that 6.9.1 solves the problem – thank you.

I also noticed a small, and probably unintended API change between 3.0 and 6.9:
The method FillFormat.setGradientStops() has been renamed to FillFormat.setGradientStopt(). This looks like a typing error to me because the getter is still called FillFormat.getGradientStops().

Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your feedback. Yes it seems to be a typographical mistake and I have created an issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-33699 to resolve the mentioned issue. We will share the feedback with you once the issue will be resolved.

Many Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-33699) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.