Mono support for 9.3.0.0

Is it possible to find out whether version 9.3.0.0 should work in Mono?

I keep getting problems like so:

Error 7 The type ‘System.Drawing.Image’ is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly ‘System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’. C:\Data\TFS2012\Workbench\SLWorkbench\OfficeProvidersMono\AsposeWord.cs 532 45 OfficeProviders
Error 8 The type ‘System.Drawing.Color’ is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly ‘System.Drawing, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a’. C:\Data\TFS2012\Workbench\SLWorkbench\OfficeProvidersMono\AsposeExcel.cs 691 13 OfficeProviders

Many thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your inquiry.

9.3.0 is a very old version; unfortunately, we don’t provide support for older released versions of Aspose.Words. Please note that we do not provide any fixes or patches for old versions of Aspose products either. All fixes and new features are always added into new versions of our products. So, you will have to upgrade to 15.7.0 from the following link if you need new features or fixes.
http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/.net-components/aspose.words-for-.net/default.aspx

This missing assembly reference problem may also occur because Aspose.Words internally uses PrinterSetting to specify printer. So, you should add reference to System.Drawing assembly.

Best regards,

Hi Awais, thank you for replying. I have tried the latest version of Aspose and I get the same problem. From what I can tell Aspose can’t seem to deal with Mono (Android Mono) and/or PCLs. Can you advise?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please add reference to System.Drawing assembly in your project. For Android we have a separate API i.e. Aspose.Words for Android. If we can help you with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Hi Awais, I have managed to make some progress with Aspose.Cells thanks to help from Amjad in this forum thread: https://forum.aspose.com/t/39967

Hopefully you should see and understand why I cannot add System.Drawing due to the nature of it being Mono.

We appear to so far have fixed Excel format handling by using .ARGB rather than .Color - but I’ve downloaded the latest version of Aspose.Words and I can’t see such properties.

Can you advise on how I get this working with Mono/Xamarin.Forms?

Many thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please attach simplified project (source code without compilation errors) here for our reference. Please note that your code should be only using Aspose.Words related code that will help us to get to the bottom of this problem. Please also list steps to reproduce this issue on our end. Are there any specific documents you’re getting this problem with or every document you try cause the same problem? Please zip and attach related resources as well. Please also mention the exact error message you’re seeing on your end. We will investigate the issue on our end and provide you more information.

Best regards,

Hi Awais, can you make this forum thread private so I can attach code?

Hi Awais, see attached. Note it does not build due to references to System.Drawing. I cannot add System.Drawing as it does not exist under Mono. I highly suggest consulting with the technician to assisted me on the Cells problem. Also looking at the linked forum thread should help explain.

Many thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the additional information. I have made your thread Private now.

To evaluate your issue thoroughly, I have logged an investigation ticket with an id “WORDSNET-12342” for your issue into our database. We will investigate if Aspose.Words for .NET can be used on Xamarin.Forms as it looks like we may find some issues with System.Drawing API on Xamarin.Forms platform. Since Aspose.Words depends on System.Drawing namespace for its many rendering features, so we need to analyze your issue precisely.

Once we have any update on it, we will let you know here.

Best regards,

Thank you for raising this for me Awais. I’m getting a bit of pressure for an answer on this. Do you happen to know if there has been any progress with this at all?

Many thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, this issue is not resolved yet. Currently, this issue is pending for analysis and is in the queue. Once the issue is analyzed, we will then be able to provide you more information. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Hi Awais, apologies for having to chase this. Very soon we’re going to have to decide between continuing with using Aspose or having to move to a different library (ideally one that supports PCL). Is there any chance you can see if there’s been any progress with this?

Many thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your inquiry. We have informed our product team of your concern and will update you as soon as this issue is resolved or any estimates are available. We apologize for any inconvenience.

PS: Normally when an issue is reported by a customer, it is added to the pool of current issues being worked on by our developers. Our developers work on issues on a first come, first served basis. We feel this is the fairest and most appropriate way to satisfy the needs of the majority of our customers. We also try to resolve important issue in a timely manner. However, due to the nature of some bugs and the number of features we are working on, this doesn’t always mean we can fix every bug within a short time after it’s reported.

Best regards,

Hi Awais, I’ve left it a couple of months before contacting you again. Did you happen to hear anything regarding this issue?

Many thanks,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for being patient. Our product team has completed the initial analysis of this issue and currently they’re looking to investigate the best possible way to deal with this problem. We will inform you via this thread as soon as this issue is resolved. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards,
Hi Peter,

Thanks for being patient. Regarding WORDSNET-12342, our product team has completed the work on your issue and has come to a conclusion that they won't be able to implement the fix to your issue. Your issue (WORDSNET-12342) has now been closed with 'Won't Fix' resolution.

The problem here is not with Mono. Aspose.Words runs on Mono mostly fine and System.Drawing is present in Mono (see http://www.mono-project.com/docs/gui/drawing/). The problem is that you want to run this on Android in Xamarin.Forms which uses some cut down version of Mono. Aspose.Words needs the graphics libraries to work and we unfortunately will not be able to make it work with a cut down version of mono. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards,