MS Excel vs Aspose Cells PDF Borders

Hi!

We have created an example app that only consists of the following code (you may have to adapt the file paths, obviously):

Dim lWorkbook As New Workbook("C:\Temp\borders.xlsx")
lWorkbook.Save("C:\Temp\borders.pdf", SaveFormat.Pdf)

Here’s a zip file that contains the files I am referring to in this post:
Borders.zip (112.3 KB)

CASE 1:
When converting the workbook Case 1.xlsx to PDF using Aspose.Cells, the following output appears in the PDF file:
Case 1 - Aspose Cells output.png (27.2 KB)

When converting the same workbook to PDF using MS Excel, the output looks like this:
Case 1 - MS Excel output.png (22.1 KB)

As you can see, the lines are much “smoother” in the MS Excel output. Also, Excel seems to automatically give the darker border color priority over the brighter one (regardless of whether it’s a vertical of horizontal border). It’s always the dark blue border that overlaps the brighter orange border.

CASE 2:
Something similar happens when converting the workbook Case 2.xlsx. The Aspose.Cells output looks like this:
Case 2 - Created by Aspose Cells.png (24.3 KB)

The MS Excel output of the same file looks like this:
Case 2 - MS Excel output.png (23.2 KB)

Again, the MS Excel output looks much smoother and the border colors are correctly applied (and are well positioned).

Conclusion:
MS Excel seems to have a better algorithm when it comes to positioning borders; it automatically gives darker colors priority over brighter colors. Our customers (and it should be in your interest as well, I guess) would like to see the Aspose.Cells output to be as close as possible to the output MS Excel produces. Currently this is not the case.

Are there any plans to change that?

Please let me know if I can give any further assistance on this issue.

Thanks,
Bernd

@bernd.podhradsky,
We have observed the issue and logged it into our database for further investigation. We will notify you here once any update is ready for sharing.

This issue is logged as:
CELLSNET-49438 - XLSX to PDF creates different results for borders as compared to MS Excel