MSG generation creates invalid stream

I’ve found another MSG generation problem with Aspose.Email (5.3).

At customer – a lot of messages don’t actually contain any
named properties:

Stream: __substg1.0_00040102

Size: 0

However, the same message exported from PST via Aspose
results in this:

Stream: __substg1.0_00040102

Size: 1

And the content of this stream:

0000000000: 00

I’ve included a sample message and the PST file that the message was exported from via Aspose.Email component for you to check.

Our processing library checks MSG violations and fails on this.

I guess there are more than one problem with NamedProperty storage - (1 bug there already –
EMAILNET-34810 - not aligned entries on 4 byte boundary). Could you please make sure this violation is fixed along that other bug.

So in case there are NO string NamedProperties - the stream should end up completely empty.

Could you give an rough estimate when these violations will be fixed? Are there any plans to fix them in an upcoming version?

Best regards,
Michal
<!–[if gte mso 10]> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman",serif;}

<![endif]–>

Hi Michal,

We have tried to observe the differences by analyzing it in MFCMapi but were unable to locate the problematic area. Could you please guide us about how to observe the differences between the extracted messages by both methods? This will help us investigate the issue and assist you.

Hi Kashif,

MFCMapi hides this information from you. You need to access the RAW data in the MSG. That requires a Compound Viewer of sorts.

Personally, I’m using FAR Manager and it’s Ocular plugin. The configuration is quite easy. However, I think that there is an easier tool to check the content of the message.

Structured Storage Viewer ( MiTeC Homepage ):

This is what I see when I open the MSG in attachment with the viewer:

The PST opened via Outlook and the item exported via (File → Save) results in the selected stream to have size of 0 - as there are no named properties. Aspose adds there 1 byte (0). This is not valid based on the MSG specification.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michal

Hi Michal,

Thank you for providing the additional information that was quite helpful. Can you please confirm to us if the PST you provided to us does contain the MSG file in it? We could not find any message in the sample PST you provided to us.

Hi Muhammad,

Somehow I attached the wrong version of the PST file. My apologies. Here is the original file containing single_item.msg in root folder.

Best regards,
Michal

Hi Michal,

Thank you for sharing the PST with message file. We were able to observe the differences you have mentioned and have logged the issue as EMAILNET-34861 in our issue tracking system for further investigation by our product team. We’ll notify you here once there is some information available in this regard.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as EMAILNET-34861) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.