Multi-column PDFs and bullet points

Hi

We are trying to use aspose.word and aspose.pdf to make pdf documents with multiple columns. Our results so far have been successful apart from any documents that have bullets that wrap from one column onto the next.

When saving them as a PDF - the pdf either only has one column, or the bullet formatting is forgotten for the first item on the page.

See the attached word document (created from aspose.word) for an example.

The following code should open the document and save it to pdf format allowing you to see the problem

template_doc = new Document("B822.doc");

builder = new DocumentBuilder(template_doc);

MemoryStream stream = new MemoryStream();

doc.Save(stream, SaveFormat.FormatAsposePdf);

stream.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin);

XmlDocument xmlDoc = new XmlDocument();

xmlDoc.Load(stream);

Pdf pdf = new Pdf();

pdf.IsImagesInXmlDeleteNeeded = true;

pdf.BindXML(xmlDoc, null);

pdf.Save("B822.pdf");

Dear Stuart,

Thank you for considering Aspose.

Which version of Aspose.Pdf and Aspose.Word do you use? I have tested your document with the latest version of Aspose.Word and Aspose.Pdf but have not found the error you report.

I’ve just had a look at the code and the reference I have for aspose.pdf was pointing at the dll sat in the aspose.word directory (version 2.1.13.0). I think this is because aspose.pdf appears in the references list pointing at the aspose.word directory.

I’ve changed it to point at the version in aspose.pdf directory (version 2.2.2.0) by using the browse button on the references page, and tried it again. The document now generates successfully.

Do you have any idea how to make the reference in the .net component list point at the correct aspose.pdf dll?

Many thanks

Stuart

Dear Stuart,

Thank you for consideirng Aspose.

If you have installed both Aspose.Word and Aspose.Pdf, two Aspose.Pdf components should be in the .NET component list. PLease select the correct one when you add reference.

I’ve been looking though some of the other files we are generating and I am still seeing the problem (although in different documents than before). I’ve checked that Im definatly running aspose.pdf version 2.2.2.0 and aspose.word 2.4.1.0.

Could you try using the attached file with the code I posted above as this one is showing the problem for me.

Thanks

Stuart

Dear Stuart,

I have fixed this bug. Please download hotfix here.

Many thanks. I've run our generator again and the problem has disappeared from all of the files. We've now noticed another problem to do with the bullet points and columns though.

If an item in a bulleted list is spread across either columns or pages then the indentation of the text is not continued on the following page/column.

For an example use the file attached with the code above, and look at the bullet that begins "Use information and communication technologies" at the bottom of the first column.

Thanks
--
Stuart Crouch

Dear Stuart,

I can’t find the problem you said. Can you please elaborate this problem or attach a image with the error marked?

Attached is a screen grab of the pdf file. I’ve marked in red the problem area.

As you can see, the bottom left column finishes on a bullet point (“Use information and communication technologies”) that wraps onto the next column. When you look at the top right of the page, the bulleted text is continuing (“to navigate the…”) , but without the indent required for a bullet point.

When the bullet finishes and moves onto the next bullet point (“Analyse and develop…”) the indenting returns.

Thanks

Stuart

Dear Stuart,

I have fixed this bug. Please download the latest hotfix.

Just to let you know that this has worked on all of our documents and they are now looking as we expected.

Many thanks for a prompt response Smile

Stuart Crouch