Multi lingual fonts

On Windows, I could successfully convert a WordML file containing Chinese fonts into PDF.

However on Unix, the output PDF contains square boxes instead of Chinese characters.

What is the best way to resolve this?

Regards.

Hi Gautam,

Thanks for your inquiry. You need to install fonts on the machine where you’re converting documents to PDF. Please refer to the following articles:

How Aspose.Words Uses True Type Fonts
How to Specify True Type Fonts Location
How to Install True Type Fonts on Linux
How to Receive Notification of Missing Fonts and Font Substitution during Rendering

Hope, this helps.

Best regards,

Thanks Awais.

I am reading those links.

Can I ask, are there any methods for the following:

(1) Finding which fonts are in the Word-XML doc so that we can then prepare a list for updating the server?

(2) Any way to make fonts soft-embedded in the output PDF rather than hard-embedded so that when PDF is opened in Windows it will automatically use fonts installed there?

Regards,

G.Sharma

EDIT: I’ve been able to list fonts using IWarningCallback callback.

Hi Gautam,

Thanks for your inquiry. Aspose.Words requires fonts on the machine where you’re performing rendering to PDF. Please also check PdfSaveOptions.FontEmbeddingMode, PdfSaveOptions.EmbedFullFonts and PdfSaveOptions.UseCoreFonts properties.

Best regards,

Thanks Awais.

We have successfully been able to try conversion using Unicode fonts. But fonts have licensing terms and costs.

In your opinion, could you kindly guide us as to which fonts can be used which are either free or easy to procure/buy/install ?

These would go on Solaris servers and we’re looking to convert documents with a wide range of languages - from European e.g. greek to Asian e.g. Chinese, and many more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Gautam.

Hi Gautam,

Thanks for your inquiry, We don’t have any recommendations but I think you can use Liberation Fonts which are licensed under OFL and are an alternative to stanard Windows fonts: Arial, Times New Roman, and Courier New.

Best regards,