We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Need confirmation on requirements met by Aspose.Words

Hello,

We are working on a project where we need to create large documents and we are considering Aspose.Words for it. We just needed to get a confirmation whether Aspose.Words meets all our requirements so that we can proceed with using it. This is a list of features we need

1. Footers - Footers need to have date and page number (which will probably be predefined in the template)
2. Footnotes - Footnotes can have hyperlinks and line breaks in them.
3. Inserting HTML - The HTML inserted would be complex including bold, italic, highlight, tables with backgrounds, paragraphs with indentations (which probably would be set by left-margin style attribute of HTML), images (through img tags), bullets and numberings (ul-ol).
4. Hyperlinks in fields - Values of some of the fields (mail merge fields) might be hyperlinks, the system needs to identify such fields (there can be hyperlinks to bookmarks too)
5. Bookmarks - Bookmarks need to be inserted into the generated report dynamically and hyperlinks to such bookmarks would be created too.
6. Tables of Content - We know Aspose supports tables of contents but in our trial the TOC came as a field instead of actual TOC content (this might be a minor technical issue)
7. Multi Language Support - The code needs to support Chinese and other language Unicode characters. The other language text might be the value of simple mail merge field or in HTML inserted.
8. Doc, Docx and PDF support - I think Aspose supports all of this but it would be good to know if there is any performance impact when generating PDF or Docx as opposed to Doc. The TOC hyperlinks, footnotes etc need to work in PDF format too.
9. Password Protection - From what we know, Aspose supports making a document read-only using password protection. But is there a way to password protect a document so that it can’t be opened without a password?
10. Document properties - We need to set the document properties like Author, Company etc which I think Aspose supports
11. Nested Numbered Lists - Our generated document need to have nested numbered lists and the left indent of the number and the text needs to be set by us.
12. Text boxes - There would be a few text boxes which will need their text to be changed (again it seems to be supported but a confirmation would be great)

We also would like to know what would be a rough time estimate to generate a 150 page document with all such content in it. We need to generate around 20 documents at a time which I suppose should not be a problem if the machine has good processing power. We would very much like to use the mail-merge template mechanism of Aspose.Words to generate our documents (as that will remove all the complexity from the code) but Aspose.Words for Java doesn’t seem to currently support nested mail merge fields which is a big problem for us. Is there a FINAL expected date when this feature might be available as it seems to have getting postponed for months. If we use the document builder approach, would there be a severe performance impact? Or if we use the assembling approach to generate such nested sections (like given in one of your examples), would it be slow?

Hello<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Words for Java. First of all I would like to say that historically all new feature are first implemented in .NET version and then ported to Java version of Aspose.Words. But currently we are working on very major release. The next versions of Aspose.Words for Java and .NET will be released simultaneously and will contain the same set of features (we use our own autoporting system). Hopefully this work will be finished within 4-5 weeks. You will be notified.

Regarding your questions:

1. Supported. Please follow the link to see sample code which demonstrates how to create headers/footers using DocumentBuilder:

http://www.aspose.com/documentation/java-components/aspose.words-for-java/howto-create-headersfooters-using-documentbuilder.html

2. Please see the following link to learn how to insert footnote:.

http://www.aspose.com/documentation/java-components/aspose.words-for-java/com/aspose/words/documentbuilder.html#insertFootnote%28int,%20java.lang.String%29

3. You can insert HTML using insertHtml method:

http://www.aspose.com/documentation/java-components/aspose.words-for-java/com/aspose/words/documentbuilder.html#insertHtml%28java.lang.String%29

Also you should note, that not all features of HTML are supported. You can find an approximate list of what is supported in HTML import/export here:
http://www.aspose.com/documentation/.net-components/aspose.words-for-.net/save-in-the-html-format.html

4. You can easily achieve this with Aspose.Words.

5. Please follow the link to learn how to work with bookmarks in Aspose.Words:

http://www.aspose.com/documentation/.net-components/aspose.words-for-.net/bookmarks-in-aspose-words.html

6. Yes. Aspose.Words fully supports TOC fields. You can insert and update (completely rebuild) a TOC field in Aspose.Words and the TOC will look exactly as it was updated by Microsoft Word.

7. Aspose.Words supported multilingual documents. You can manipulate with such document or create them from scratch.

8. Currently we are working on creating a list of supported features for all formats. At the moment, we already have such lists for PDF, ODT and HTML:

http://www.aspose.com/documentation/.net-components/aspose.words-for-.net/what-document-features-are-supported.html

9. What you are asking for is document encryption. Aspose.Words at the moment cannot encrypt documents; it can only apply document protection and write protection. However, Aspose.Words supports loading encrypted documents.

Your request has been linked to the appropriate issue. You will be notified as soon as this feature is available.

10. Yes of course it is very easily to do with Aspose.Words:

// Open document.

Document doc = new Document("in.doc");

// Change Author

doc.getBuiltInDocumentProperties().setAuthor("Andrey");

11. Supported

12. Supported

Time and memory usage depends on document size, format and document’s content. You can literally generate thousands of documents in minutes with Aspose.Words.

Currently Aspose.Words for Java does not support nested mail merge, only the .NET version supports this. You will be notified as soon as it is supported in Aspose.Words for Java.

Bets regards,

Thanks for your response Andrey. I know apart from Password protection (and nested fields) all of our required features are supported by Aspose.Words for Java. I just wanted to confirm the details of each requirement. Like with inserting HTML if I put a left-margin on a paragraph will that work or not, can hyperlinks be inserted into footnotes or not (both these things are working) things like this. I’m still facing some problems with Chinese characters on Win XP (they are coming as boxes) that I tried to insert with their unicode counterparts (its working fine on Win 2008 Server). When I saved the document as a PDF the position of page numbers changed from right to left. TOC is something which is very important and right now it doesn’t appear in the generated document till I press F9 in MS Word which is unacceptable for our requirement. I called both updateFields and updatePageLayout methods, still it doesn’t work. I was also unable to generate a nested list of the form 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2, 2.1, 2.2. I am able to set the nesting level of numbers but the nested numbers don’t have their parent numbers prepended to them. I’m sure I need to set the number format and I tried the \u0000.\u0001 format but it didn’t work but I’m assuming that’s a minor technical issue.

Also can you comment on the speed of insertHTML method? In our document we’ll need to insert HTML at more than 150 places approx (the HTML will be of varying complexity). Can that slow down the document processing very much?

[Edit] One small thing that I can’t figure out is to change the left indent of a table (not the content in it, but the position of the actual table). I don’t want a floating table, just a table with its leftmost column starting from 1 inch away from the page margin. If the table itself can be aligned to the right to achieve this, that’ll work for me too…

Hello

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for your inquiry. Currently there is no way to insert hyperlinks into footnote using Aspose.Words. Your request has been linked to the appropriate issue. You will be notified as soon as it is supported.

Could you please attach the document with Chinese characters you have problem with (also the document with problematic TOC and list numbering)? I will check them and provide you more information.

Regarding insertHTML, you should note, currently, Aspose.Words does not support inheriting styles from parent elements. Aspose.Words expects that font formatting is set in element, formatting of paragraph – in

or

elements etc…

I linked your request to the appropriate issue, you will be notified as soon as it is supported.

Regarding the speed of insertHTML method, it is very difficult to say without the HTML documents.

If you will have any questions related to this thread please post here, if any other question, please create new thread for each problem and attach the problematic/expected documents and your code for testing. I will check them and try to find a solution.

Best regards,

AndreyN:
Currently there is no way to insert hyperlinks into footnote using Aspose.Words.

I am able to insert hyperlinks into footnotes using document builder and that's fine for my requirement as long as there is no major performance impact when using builder to set footnotes text manually after a call to insertFootnote method.

AndreyN:
Could you please attach the document with Chinese characters you have problem with (also the document with problematic TOC and list numbering)? I will check them and provide you more information

I'll create separate threads for these

AndreyN:
Regarding insertHTML, you should note, currently, Aspose.Words does not support inheriting styles from parent elements. Aspose.Words expects that font formatting is set in element, formatting of paragraph – in

or

elements etc…

I don't need support for parent formatting. All the formatting of my HTML would be provided with the HTML so I'm fine the way it is :-)

AndreyN:
Regarding the speed of insertHTML method, it is very difficult to say without the HTML documents

The HTML would be a little complex as we'll have tables with formattings like cell background, border settings, paragraphs with top, bottom, left and right margins, nested numbered and bulleted lists (note: these lists don't need to link to any existing nested lists in the document), hyperlinks to websites and bookmarks (anchor tags with href="#bookmarkname" seems to link to bookmarks automatically :-) which is great). I'm attaching a complex HTML generated by my rich text editor to generate a table. If you could throw some light on performance if there are 100 such html insertions in a document what performance could we expect, that would be great...

Hi there,

Thanks for this additional information.

Inserting a hyperlink after inserting a footnote will not impact performance in any way. Regarding inserting complex HTML into your document, I did a quick test using your HTML snippet and inserting it 100 times into a document. The process took just under a second. The code I used is below:

Document doc = new Document();<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

DocumentBuilder builder = new DocumentBuilder(doc);

string html = File.ReadAllText("html sample.htm");

for(int i = 0; i < 100; i++)

{

builder.InsertHtml(html);

}

doc.Save("Document Out.docx");

If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as 12928) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(8)

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-1724) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-5557) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

(4)

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-2021) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

(7)