New Release 1.4 and its Hot Fixes

Dear Customers,

We have released Aspose.Word 1.4.

For the list of new features please see What’s New.

To download click here.

To check out updated online demos https://github.com/aspose-words/Aspose.Words-for-.NET.

We hope you enjoy the product.

Hi Roman,
Excellent news about 1.4, though the download link still talks about version 1.3?

Best regards
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for your reminder. It’s fixed.

Excellent job on 1.4! I’m impressed by the number of improvements and new features.

Just curious though why there isn’t a DocumentBuilder.MoveToDocumentEnd() function to correspond to MoveToDocumentStart(). I’m working on an application that needs to append images to the end of word documents made by end users. I can do this currently, but it requires jumping through some hoops. Basically what I do is create a document that contains nothing but a merge field and store it on the server. Then I open it along with the document I’m trying to append to, clone the section containing my merge field then add it as a new section to the original document. I can then merge in the image.

DocumentBuilder will now let me avoid merging in the image via InsertImage() but it would be nice if I could get to the end of the doc without having to have a merge field there.

Perhaps there’s an easy way to do this that I’m missing, and I know nothing about the MS Word file format, so maybe it’s not even possible.

At any rate though, you should be commended for your work on Aspose.Word. You’ve created a much needed product, and I thank you for it.

Dave Jayne

Hi David,

Thanks for the good idea. We will certainly add MoveToDocumentEnd, we also plan to add MoveToBookmark and maybe a few other methods that will simplify navigation inside the document.

In addition, we will soon add methods to DocumentBuilder to build tables in the document.

Dear Customers,

We have released Aspose.Word 1.4.1 hotfix.

This includes two of MailMerge.Execute methods renamed to MailMerge.ExecuteADO and MailMerge.ExecuteWithRegionsADO to resolve the problem of calling overloaded methods from within COM applications. Also added sample VBScript code into documentation for the above methods.

Please note that Aspose.Word classes are registered for COM during installation, but the type library is not registered. If you intend to use Aspose.Word classes from an ASP or VBScript application you don’t need the type library, just follow the samples.

If you need the typelibrary for Aspose.Word you can easily generate it and register using RegAsm (.NET Framework Assembly Registration Tool) by entering:
regasm.exe Aspose.Word.dll /codebase /tlb

We will make type library registration automatic during install time in the future.

Hi Roman,
Do u have any timescales for the Tables and Lists in documentbuilder?

I have a client that wants to go live with this for the 1st of June…

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,

We are already working on API to create tables and lists, should be ready sometime next week.

Dear Customers,

We have released Aspose.Word 1.4.3 hotfix.

This release allows Aspose.Word to read some badly formed Word documents where paragraph style is assigned to a character run.

Resolved an issue encountered when moving sections between documents when the destination document does not have styles defined in the source document. Aspose.Word will now reset paragraphs styles to Normal in this situation.

Some memory optimizations are also included. In one of the tests we achieved amount of memory reduced by 50%.

Dear Customers,

We have released Aspose.Word 1.4.4 hotfix.

This version allows to build tables inside a document programmatically using the DocumentBuilder class.

The online documentation was updated to include new methods and properties, but it will be extended with more detail and sample code during next full release.

This simple example shows how to build a chessboard like table in a document:

/// 
/// Creates a chess like table to test borders and shading.
/// 
[Test]
public void TestChess()
{
    builder.Font.Size = 8;
    builder.Font.Name = "Tahoma";
    builder.ParagraphFormat.Alignment = ParagraphAlignment.Center;

builder.RowFormat.Height = 0.75 \*72;//0.5
    builder.RowFormat.HeightRule = RowHeightRule.Exactly;

builder.CellFormat.Width = 0.75 \*72;//0.5
    builder.CellFormat.VerticalAlignment = CellVerticalAlignment.Center;
    foreach (Border border in builder.CellFormat.Borders)
    {
        border.LineStyle = LineStyle.Single;
        border.LineWidth = 2;
        border.Color = System.Drawing.Color.Blue;
    }

for (int y = 0; y < 8; y++)
    {
        for (int x = 0; x < 8; x++)
        {
            builder.InsertCell();
            builder.Write(string.Format("X{0}, Y{1}", x, y));

bool isBlack = (((x + y) & 0x01) != 0);
            builder.CellFormat.Shading.BackgroundPatternColor =
            (isBlack) ? System.Drawing.Color.LightGreen : System.Drawing.Color.LightYellow;
        }
        builder.EndRow();
    }
    SaveOpen();
}

Dear Customers,

We have released Aspose.Word 1.4.5 hotfix.

Added new method MailMerge.GetFieldNamesEx to return all merge field names without removing duplicates and supporting field names with extended syntax (region names and image fields).

Dear Customers,

We have released Aspose.Word 1.4.6 hotfix and the full installer.

This has Word.SetLicenseCOM method added so a license can be specified from within a COM application because existing static methods cannot be called from within a COM application.

For more info how to use Aspose.Word with COM applications see Using Aspose.Word from COM applications.

Dear Customers,

We have released Aspose.Word 1.4.7 hotfix and the full installer.

In this release added CellFormat.HorizontalMerge and CellFormat.VerticalMerge properties to allow merge cells in a table when using DocumentBuilder. See the API documentation for details and examples.

Also fixed Word.SetLicenseCOM to accept all types of licenses.

Dear Customers,

We have released Aspose.Word 1.4.8 hotfix and the full installer.

Fixed an issue where the size of the stylesheet was not written to the output file under certain circumstances. This was causing Aspose.Word trouble opening the saved file again sometimes. MS Word was opening the produced files okay because the size of the stylesheet was written into a “backup” field in the file.

Dear Customers,

We have released Aspose.Word 1.4.9 hotfix and the full installer.

New Features

1. Support for bookmarks. Bookmarks are preserved when opening and saving documents.

2. New DocumentBuilder.MoveToBookmark method to navigate the insertion cursor to a bookmark.

3. New FormFields[string bookmarkName] property to retrieve form fields by name.

4. New Document.Range property.

Fixes

1. Fixed MS Word crashing when saving files generated by Aspose.Word. This was happening only for files that had drawing shapes but did not have headers/footers. Aspose.Word was saving an empty drawing container causing MS Word to crash when saving the file.

2. Fixed web domain licensing issue for domains that start with “www1.” or similar.